What to serve?

DD's baptism is next month, and we're having family over to the house for food afterwards instead of going to a restaurant...looking for suggestions as to what to serve.

DMac08

Asked by DMac08 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'd keep it easy so you can relax and enjoy the day too! Cold salads (greens, fruit, pasta, potato), veggie trays, cheese trays, breads and cold cuts.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Baked ham, lasagnas, salads and dinner rolls. Cake or cookies for dessert
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• For a big group, you could do BBQ or Spaghetti or Lasagna. Maybe meatballs in gravy or fried chicken. Depending on what you choose for your main dish, then pick the sides.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• For one of ours we grilled burgers & hot dogs, and I made potato salad, fresh fruit salad, and we had chips. For 2 (different kids, different years, but I can't remember which we did which with) we had hot sandwiches - ham slices, creamed chicken, beef (sliced roast), and various sides. For the last we grilled again, but I don't remember what all we had for sides. Plus cake with all of them. Definitely nothing fancy!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Something you can make the night before and heat that day. I think baked ziti, garlic bread and salad would be easy and good. Shepards pie would also be easy to put together the night before. You could have cheese and cracker trays and fruit out while they wait If you decide you need the recipes I'll send them to you..
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• cold cuts, salads
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 12:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I've always gone all out when I've had people over to eat. I always would find out what they like to eat so I don't get hurt by making things they won't eat. Italian food has always gone over well and even turkey. I've made stuffed shells, roasted turkey, spiral ham, lasagna, a special dessert is always welcome,etc.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The spiral hams are great and we like to serve assorted cold salads with it. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Baked Ziti or a ham
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 7:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• When we had our kids baptized we had lasagna ( luckily for us fixed by the godparents and served at their houes too) I know that when we adopted our kids we did a soup buffet at the first 2 kids adoption celebration and at the third one 6 monhts later we fixed a pork loin roast and had rice and green beans.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 9, 2010