I need a Hash Browns Guru. I screw up the potatoes in a bag that are supposed to be easy.

It's a small problem, but my offspring (especially my 14 year old daughter) love them. I do like to do things from scratch-- at least a bit. I could just buy the packaged ones. I am an excellent cook-- I'm so embarrassed that I screw this up. They even stick to a non-stick pan. I can't get them browned-- and crispy. They turn into white mush. Then I mix up some pancake batter and do potato pancakes. My son (21) will say "Potato pancakes, I see mom screwed up the hash browns again."
This might be one of these things I just can't do. Like pie crusts. I massacre those. So I just buy the refrigerated ones.
Just thought I'd see if there is a Hash Browns Guru out there.

thanks,

LisaJo

muffinrat

Asked by muffinrat at 12:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Are we talking shredded kind? For starters, make sure your skillet is really hot, I put in oil and butter. Place the hashbrowns in, in a nice even layer and DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Check them after about 8 minutes and see if they are browning. Section them off like a 4 quarter pie and flip each section. DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Give them about 5 minutes and check them out. They should be done. They turn to mush because (1) the skillet isn't hot enough or (2) you are playing around with them tooo much!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Here's what you are doing wrong...stop stirring. Seriously. Heat the oil in a non stick pan, then put the hash browns in, and leave them sit there for 7 minutes or so. Flip them out on to a plate, add a little more oil, and slide them back in.

You need the potatoes to caramelize to get crispy, and if you keep moving them, they can't
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You need to spray the pan with non stick spray and do not add any oil, put them in medium heat and watch them brown and get crispy!

Answer by older at 12:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Lots of butter, and medium heat. A non-stick pan if possible.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• lovin is right do not move them until the underside is crispy.

Answer by older at 12:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yeah, the pan and the oil need to be hot before adding the potatoes. Then don't flip or stir for at least five to seven min.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• i don't do hash browns but i make a great pie
    1cp shortening
    1 egg
    2cps flour
    1tsp salt
    1/4 cp ice water
    mix all in bowl,cover with wet cloth so it won't dry out
    make ball roll out pie crust pam pie pan add pie crust, good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The other ladies have you covered on the hash browns so I thought I'd share what I found out about a pie crust. I never could do them and an award winning pie baker told me about her recipe. Her mother handed it down to her. It's called "Mother's Idiot Proof Pie Crust" (truth!)
    In a mixing bowl combine 3 cups of sifted flour, 1 cup crisco, 1/4 tsp salt. Mix with dough hooks till crumbly or cut with two knives until dough is crumbly in small pea size clumps. Then mix & add 1 egg, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 4 tablespoons of ice water. Continue beating or working until smooth. divide crusts into thirds for rolling out crusts. Makes 3 crusts or 4 paper thin ones. Can be refrigerated up to a week.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010