My DD is 8 months and still EBF

She seems fine with it. Do I have to start solids? I mean she is supposed to be weaned at 1 year right? That's only 4 months away. I just hate to wean her if she is so happy BF and doesn't 'need' food. Everyone says it just for practice anyway right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, you do not have to wean her at a year old! And yes, solids are just for practice, not nutrition - but at a year old they should be starting on them, as well as still bf if you choose to do so.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Good for you going 8 months! YAY! You could have started solids at 6 months so i would start it now. You don't have to wean at a year but it's common that most babies are weaned then. If you give her solids she'll stay full longer ans she'll know how to eat foods when she turns a year.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• If both you and baby are comfortable with BF, AND she is getting properly nourished, then there is nothing wrong with it, and you do not have to have her weaned by 1 year old. You will know when it's time to wean her off. Tht being said, have you considered doing a combination of BF and solids? That way she will be exposed to different textures of foods while she is still young, as some children become sensitive to textures in their mouths if they are not exposed to it, while still being able to BF.
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 12:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Sorry forgot to add feeding them solids now is practice
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You don't have to give her foods at all right now. If your both comfy BFing after a year then still BF, it is not common to wean at year unless they are bottle feeding. Solids will not keep her full longer and she will naturally know how to eat in a few months.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I just demand feed right now. She nurses every 4-6 hours during the day and 1 time during the night. I am a SAHM so it's not a big deal if she needs to nurse more often. I just want to do the absolute best for her. So I should start giving he rthe cereal now? HOw will that effect my supply?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You can give her cereal but that's up to you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Who told you to wean at one year? THe recommendation is BFing for two years. So hang in there! My DS was still basically EBFing at 8 months. I'd offered him solids, but he just wasn't that interested. I guess around 9 1/2 months I started offering them on a regular basis each day and he got more into them. No rush!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't give the rice cereal at all. We started with mash avocado and then I would steam some frozen or fresh veggies (mostly organic) and then puree them with a little bit of water (you can also use breastmilk). Then I put them into a silicone mini muffin pan and into the freezer. Once frozen then I put them into a ziplock bag for later. I also did the same to some fruits, but didn't cook them first.
    If you choose to start the solids now, you want to nurse first, then offer the solids. As you know, the solids are just for experimenting and practice until a year old. Once she's a year, you can continue to nurse. Nothing says you have to wean at 1 year, in fact, the WHO recommends going to 2 years. Just after a year, you'll typically give solids first, then nurse. If you continue to nurse into the second year, you don't need to give cow's milk, unless you want to.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• If she is happy nursing, then I wouldn't even worry about food right now. My longest nursers was 2.5 years old when he weaned and didn't start eating solid food until he was about 18 mths old.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 2:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010