Breastfeeding- HELP!

I am breastfeeding and my baby is almost 2 weeks old but my nipples hurt so bad it makes me want to cry at even the thought of feeding her. I haven't used formula yet and pump sometimes to give myself a break but is there anything I can do to help take away some of the pain? Will it ever get better?!

tiffanyjt22

Asked by tiffanyjt22 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Health

• Your nipples will toughen up. I remember that was about the time when mine were the most sore, although I don't think I was as sore as you. So sorry! I do think it's worth it for the baby's sake, but you have to make that decision for yourself . GOod luck, mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• they have cream - they gave me a tiny tube of it when i was in the hospital. check it out.. there are creams for your nips to help out. you dun have to deal with such pain.

i had A LOT of problems with breast feeding.. so yea head up. if it hurts i hate to say this but you might be doing it wrong. i remember i didnt find out what i was doing wrong till i had blisters and a cracked nipples. i wish you all the luck i will texct my friend and find out what that nipple cream was..
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• http://www.richardcassidy.co.uk/images/lansinoh_cream.jpg

here ya go girl this stuff is a life saver
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• if it hurts something is probably not right with the latch. have you joined the breast feeding moms group?
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 1:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• does the pain lessen as the feeding continues? if so, then that is good, and it will get better! if the pain does not ease up, then be sure that your baby is going in with a wide open mouth and getting more than just the nipple. good job mama! good luck mama! congratulations!!!

http://www.kellymom.com/  is a great site!

http://www.lllusa.org/ is another great site!

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• yeah it lessens after she latches on... sometimes she just wants to nurse a lot and they told me not to let her use me as a pacifier but how do I know when she's really hungry? I don't want to starve her.
    tiffanyjt22

Comment by tiffanyjt22 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, it will get better. Hang in there. I hope you don't give up yet. I used lanolin. It worked for me. Best wishes and congratulations!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Don't listen to who ever told you that pacifier, they don't know jack squat about nursing apparently. A paci is a breast substitute, not the other way around. At 2 weeks old just assume she is hungry. You need that stimulation right now to establish your milk.
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 1:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Hang in there it was the same for me. It get better over time. Lansinoh Lanolin help
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Definitly look intoo Laleche Legue, also there are sevarl creams on the m,arket to help with soreness, and icing your breast in between will help too, tylenol for the pain is okay, and if you are on wic or any type of assistance there is a breastfeeding person at the healt dept that can assist with latch issues and other things. If your baby is doing well onthe breast do not be afraid to use a pacifier, breast fed babies love to suck even when not hungry.Good luck and good job mama!!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010