Hmm anyone else have this issue

I have a very active baby
he has been crawling since 5 months, but really mastered it at 6months
He has been scaling furniture ever since then
He can climb to the top of his crb at 8months
he uses other objects to reach higher things, like builds make shift stairs :) which is dangerous
and he just took his first steps a couple days ago

He's on time with mental development, I think, he says mom when he wants mom, dad when he wants dad, he is copying me, like if I say ball, he says quietly, Bah LOL
so precious

but I go to some play groups and the babies there don't do as much, in fact this is at all his play groups
Some of the 8month olds don't even sit unsupported
some don't crawl
None can scale anything

Even the older kids, up to a little over a year are doing what my son has been doing

Are these babies behind?
I find that when moms are bragging i just stay quiet because my

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No way, walking is average around 12 months. That's amazing that he can do all that! My son is a lot quicker with physical development than my daughter was. She didn't walk until 16 months, he walked at 12. He builds stairs too, lol :) That's cool, maybe your son will be great at sports! It will be interesting to see if he keeps up this level of development.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 2:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Just because your baby is physically advanced, doesn't mean he's smarter than any other baby. Doesn't mean he isn't either. Most babies will average out with others eventually. Walking at 8 months is very early, it doesn't mean he is smarter than an 11 month old baby who doesn't walk though.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• my son is doing so much that I don't want them to feel like their baby isn't
    KWIM

and then when they see him playing it gets awkward because I have noticed some of them "pushing" their babies to crawl even though they arent ready, for example
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• every baby is different and does thing at there own pace.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• no those babies arent behind. my little girl is very advanced like your son. she is 14 months and speaking very clearly! she repeats anything. and has been using sentences for a long time. she first said i love you at only 4 months! crazy! she took her first steps at 7 months and yes she climbs everything! i catch her half way up my entertainment stand shelves at times! she gets on the coffee table and jumps to the chairs! you dont have to keep quiet about how brilliant he is! share it! its amazing......especially when hes willing to show off for you!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Every baby is different. And no those babies aren't behind, yours isn't ahead. They're just at different places now. My son was way ahead when he was a baby, no at 3 he is way behind. So just wait you're son may go really fast for awhile and then stall as he gets older, some kids do that.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 1:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• the other babies are not behind at all. your baby is not "advanced" either. babies develop at different rates. like people, all babies are different!
    it sounds like you have your work cut out for you...keeping your little one safe though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I thought that between 7-10 months was the normal walking age, that's what my family told me at least, so I was a bit confused when I say all of these babies who couldn't sit up or crawl. So I have always thought that age was normal to walk, 8mos. I need to read more about developing babies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My son is the same way. Hes a little terrorist compared to the others kids I know his age. Kids develope at all different speeds though, and I asked people if they talked to their doctors about their childs development, and they said doc says baby is normal.

Maybe we just have super babies lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 2:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• 12 months I believe is more normal for walking. Average age for crawling is 6-7 months, and same with sitting unsupported. But none of it means anything. As long as the baby is getting around somehow by 9 months, even if it's not by crawling, they're not considered behind. And not walking isn't worrisome until after 15 months (not sure exactly when.

Like a PP said, it usually evens out in the end. My son didn't roll around until 8 months, didn't get to a sitting position or pull up to stand until 10 months, didn't crawl until 11 months, didn't walk until 14 months, and now he runs around like any other normal 3-year-old. All it really means is that there's nothing wrong with your baby's physical development. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2010