How do I get my son to stop holding his pee and use the potty?

My son won't pee anywhere but in his pamper. He will hold his pee and it will drip out while he's on the potty but just won't pee. If he does pee in the potty he's crying and shaking. He'll be 3 on Friday and I just don't know what to do. It can't be good that he's holding his pee.

Asked by jenn11210 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just put him in underwear. Let him wet himself and he will get ther. Just put him on the potty every 30 minutes.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i always just sat my boys on the potty for as long as it took. my youngest took 3 1\2 hours before he went. feed him water while he sits there.

Answer by tcanady at 9:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I tried letting my son go outside and pee on something in our backyard. He loved it! He shortly afterwards made into the bathroom. I would give him his favorite treat when he used the toilet. My 2 year old we are doing the potty training thing now and he loves it when we make such a big deal when he uses the toilet! Good luck!

Answer by rbade at 10:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• take him to the potty every so often and tell him to try and go.

Answer by hendrickson at 1:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• With D, we rewarded him. He would get a small piece of candy for going at first, but then we quickly shifted over to "Potty Points" which he can save up and use for things. He saved 35 potty points and bought his very own baseball mitt. At 3, kids feel ownership over the products of their bodies, this includes pee and poop. He may have a hard time watching it go away, whereas in the diaper, it's just magically gone. I don't know if he goes into the bathroom w/ you or his dad, but that can help also, plus he's got his big brother. Really making it "normal" and trying not to push it are supposed to be big at that point, and they are the tactics we use w/ D.
    Good luck!!

Answer by DeylansMama at 1:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2008