My dodge ram slips out of gear.

I have a 1997 auto transmission dodge ram and it is hard to get it into gear. It will show for instance reverse, but be in neutral, or in reverse when you think it's in park. It has rolled down a hill because of this problem. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could fix this myself. The truck has airbags, so I'm afraid to take the steering column off.

arkansasmom1985

Asked by arkansasmom1985 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• if its hard to put into gear you need transmission fluid...next always remember straight up is park, one back is reverse, third is neutral and then drive...instead of watching your lights on the dash count the gears..its pretty simple..and on a hill set the parking brake
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• it sounds like the transmission is slowly going out,..i dont think it has anything to do with the steering column
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 2:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thank you for your answers. I have searched for an answer all over the internet and I haven't found one yet. I don't think the transmission is bad. I'm sure it isn't. It doesn't slip out of gear while driving, it's just that the little indicator and the actual place it is in gear are out of sync. You know what I mean?
    arkansasmom1985

Comment by arkansasmom1985 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It sounds like your transmission. That's what was wrong with our car when ours was doing that. It's a '92 Ford.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Check your fluid levels. I'm surprised you can remove the key if it is not securely in park. Here is an article I found you on line. I couldn't copy and paste it, so here is a link...

Diagnose Automatic Transmission

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• This happened with my 97 explorer and we had to take the steering column off and redo it all.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Auto repair BF says "check linkage and adjust, if necessary."
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010