Sleeping newborn...

Seems my daughter will only sleep in my arms and it's getting kind of old. Idk what to do. I will rock her to sleep then lay her down nut she will wake up and cry. She's only 9 days old. Any advice?

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• PS Letting a newborn "just cry" is a really bad idea. Please don't do that. She is counting on you for support. She really needs you. Ignoring that is so cruel. You absolutely cannot spoil a newborn - give them what they need. I did this and my toddler is sweet natured, not spoiled at all.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• She has been held and cradled by you for 9 whole months, constantly kept company by your warmth and heartbeat... and you want her to suddenly not want and need this?
    My advice is hold her, rock her, sleep WITH her. You are her enitre world right now, enjoy it while it lasts.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• She is only 9 days old...she has never slept alone, she always had your movement and your heartbeat and your warmth. it's not fair to expect her to do it magically just because she has been born. She is already in a completely new world - please don't expect too much from her! If you get a ring sling or other sling, you can have her close to you and still be able to move around. I highly recommend them and wish I had one when my son was first born because he was the exact same way.

A lot of people say babies should sleep alone...but a lot of people, me included, just don't think that is the kind thing to do. Most other cultures throughout the world do not expect their children to sleep alone for the first few years.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Swaddle!! my youngest was the same way and i did not feel comfortable sleeping with her so young. they have swaddle blankets or you can learn to swaddle with a reg blanket. it works wonders and they end up sleeping a little longer too! also try this http://www.happiestbaby.com/ you can also get this at target. something to live by when your LO are young!! GL and CONGRATS!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 2:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• P.S please dont let her cry it out so young!!! it is ok to let them cry when you are preparing to take care of them, but not for more then a few min. that is something to do when she is way older!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 2:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agree with the others. Hold her and sleep with her. try swaddling try a bassinet and try using a sling. A sling can be a life saver.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would have gone crazy if it weren't for our baby swing.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My youngest was like that a little bit...............What worked for me was after she would fall asleep on me and I put her in her crib, I would then put a shirt of mine near her, so she could smell my scent, and still think she was next to me!!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My daughter is 9 wks old. and still wants to be held while sleeping...i know it may be considered spoiling but i'm 38 and she's my last baby i had a tubal ligation. So you bet I'm going to enjoy EVERY second of her. I also have a 19 yr. old son and a 12 yr. old daughter.
    cdesersa

Answer by cdesersa at 5:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Try swadding fairly tight and also put a couple folded up blankets UNDERNEATH her crib/basinette matress to elevate her a smidge. It will help you give your arms a bit of a rest. But with that said. Snuggle her every free moment you get. This cuddly newborn phase goes soo fast.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010