Where does it say in the Bible that Jesus went to hell?

I've never heard of this until I was informed in another post that some people believe this. I'm not bashing or saying that it's wrong, I'm just curious about it. Thank you.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 2:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well in the Apostles creed is where it's usually said...

He descended into hell.
    The third day he rose again from the dead.
    He ascended into heaven,

Which I think comes from this Bible verse....

"He (Jesus) was put to death in the flesh, but he was raised to life in the Spirit, in which also he went and preached to the disobedient spirits who were in prison in the days of Noah when God waited patiently while the ark was being built...For this is why the gospel was preached even to the dead so that, although they have already been judged in the flesh like men, they might have life in the Spirit like God." (1 Peter 3:18-20; 4:6)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• As many times as I haev recited the Apostles creed I never even thought about it... THis is interesting.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The bible it self never says this. The belief comes from writings other than the bible and Christian sects and traditions which predate the bible, yet have been passed down. It's something which is more of an oral tradition than a bible based belief, however, for those who believe it, it is no less of a belief than any other.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had never heard of this before either. Pretty sure it doesn't say this in the bible but more a certain religious groups writings, or modified bible...... just a guess.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 7:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• What Sabrina said.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Lexylex long time no see! Glad to see you around here...
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• In all honesty it doesn't. Hell is never even used in the original text of the bible.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Hell, referred to in the Apostle's Creed refers to the place souls went to until heaven was opened. According to the Catholic Catechism:

Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, "hell"— Sheol in Hebrew or Hades in Greek—because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God. Such is the case for all the dead, whether evil or righteous, while they await the redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into "Abraham’s bosom": "It is precisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham’s bosom, whom Christ the Lord delivered when he descended into hell." Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him. (CCC 633)
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2010