what does it mean........

when i have a song stuck in my head at ALL times. I wake up with it and go to slepp w it 90 % of the time!!! it drives me nuts!!! it is to the point that i will sing my thoughts to the same beat!! i have litterly prayed to god that he will allow it to stop! why does this happen and any ideas how to get it to stop?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dunno but what song is it? lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Experts say the culprits are earworms (or "ohrwurms," as they're called in Germany). No, they're not parasites that crawl into your ear and lay musical eggs in your brain, but they are parasitic in the sense that they get lodged in your head and cause a sort of "cognitive itch" or "brain itch" -- a need for the brain to fill in the gaps in a song's rhythm.
    1. Sing another song, or play another melody on an instrument.

2. Switch to an activity that keeps you busy, such as working out.

3. Listen to the song all the way through (this works for some people).

4. Turn on the radio or a CD to get your brain tuned in to another song.

5. Share the song with a friend (but don't be surprised if the person become an ex-friend when he or she walks away humming the tune).

6. Picture the earworm as a real creature crawling out of your head, and imagine stomping on it.

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 2:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• That happens to me, especially when my 4 yr old is watching Nick Jr. lol I'm not sure what you can do, mine usually go away after awhile.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• the songs change all day and this has been going on for almost a year!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• it means you're going nuts like the rest of us lol. Happens to me all the time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010