?'s for any seasoned breastfeeding Mommy's.........

Help!!
First time breast feeder here and I am producing a TON of milk, my breasts hurt so bad, does this mean I should pump more often? I have been doing it about every three hours and getting anywhere from 3 - 4 OZ each time ( milk just came in, baby is only 3 days old), but man in between, I get so big that my breasts start to throb and get very hard. She can't latch on at the moment because my nipples are too big for her tiny mouth. Will pumping more often make this worse?
Also what is the rules for how long the breast milk is good for if it's at room temperature, in the fridge and frozen?
Any help, advice and/or rules of thumb will be very appreciated and helpful. I feel lost!

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had that too, engorgement. I just pumped it out just enough to alleviate the pain. You can also try letting the warm shower water hit them, that helped.

3months in a freezer (but 6 months in a deep freezer)
    3 days in the fridge ( maybe 4)
    room temp...I know it's a few hours but I wouldn't go passed one
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• well the more you pump the more milk you will produce. Keep trying to get your baby to latch, baby's are more efficent at getting all the milk out. You might want to ask this in the breastfeeding group there are some ladies very educated on bfing in there. Good luck hang in there mama.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The more you pump, the more you'll produce. Only pump enough to alleviate the engorgement to allow her to latch on, eventually your breasts will adjust to her needs.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Well first off unless you have a preemie and really even then you should not have a latch issue due to size. Did someone tell you she was to small? (just curious) you can pump as often as you like really but putting her to the breast on demand is going to be best. The more you nurse/pump the more you will make. The body will level off here soon to were you have 'just enough' until baby hits a growth spurt and cluster feeds. Milk can be stored at 5-5-5 5 hours fresh (not drank from) 5 days fresh in fridge (again not drank from) 5 months frozen. Never refreeze. Thawed milk should be used the same day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You're doing a fantastic job! Keep up the great work - the journey has just begun! This is a common problem when you just get started, so don't worry! As strange as this sounds...Cold cabbage leaves if you lay them on your breasts helps alleviate some pain in addition to gel packs you can buy in the store in the breastfeeding/pump section. Often if you pump just before you feed each time it will allow your breasts to soften a bit so you feel less uncomfortable and your baby will latch. If you haven't already please see a lactation consultant (le leche or at the hospital) so they can show you different positions to nurse that may suit your baby and you better. That milk you pump each time before a feeding? Just save it to evetually make enough for a bottle in case you want/need it! I would read the rules on the breastmilk storage on le leche's website to be safe. Good luck!
    VTmom76

Answer by VTmom76 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• If she's having trouble latching on, try hand expressing a little bit right before she feeds so your breasts are not so swollen, but the size of your nipples should not not affect her ability to latch on. And only pump enough to relieve the pressure. If you continually pump you'll only produce more milk. And your supply should level out soon when your body gets adjusted to how much your baby needs. Hang in there!!
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agree, if your milk just came in it will hurt for the first few days then your body will adjust to what the baby needs. Don't pump too much or you will make more. And if the baby is having trouble latching on like the other mmom said express a little first so their not as hard. And it will get easier as time goes on.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The more you pump, the more you'll produce. Eventually, your body will know how much it needs to make and the swelling and pain will stop. Milk will keep for an hour at room temperature, 24 hours in the fridge and months in the freezer.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Cold cabbage leaves are a bad idea if you want to continue pumping or nursing. Yes, they relieve engorgement, but they do so by drying you up. Beware.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Avoid pumping at this stage if you can, or the oversupply problem will continue. Try and get baby to nurse as much as possible (even every hour or more during the day). Lots of great tips, including info on Reverse Pressure Softening to help baby latch on easier at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

You should feel much better in a couple of days!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010