do you think that ''spelling checker'' everywhere nowadays (Internet, computer, mobile phones...etc) helps make our children lazy when it comes to learning their spelling the right way?

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 2:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• No not really. I am actually a much better speller now that I have Fire Fox constantly checking what I type.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think it can, so my kids aren't allowed to use them. My son's school wants everything hand written until senior year to avoid what you are talking about.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• not my kid lol she's just learing to talk, but I use them all the time I'm a terrible speller
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I suspect that it will. I agree about Firefox checking for me, and it is a great convenience and points out errors that I didn't know I'd made. But sometimes actually having to look a word up might help a person learn it better. I critiqued a young person's written work a year or so ago and commented that she needed to use spell check and to watch her grammar. Her reply was that the publishing company handled that. (!!! Yikes! )

Answer by Bmat at 2:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I do think that the short had kids are stating to use will hinder spelling. Like 'going 2 g-ma's 2nite 4 a few hrs. call u l8ter. ' This was the text I got firm my 16 year old niece yesterday. ::sigh::
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• yes, I meant for the new generation,, I use it bcoz I usually type quickly, but we did learn our spelling the right way I guess, it's our children whom I think this will affect the wrong way if they rely on it so much.

mommy_sam

Comment by mommy_sam (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My 8 year old is learning to spell and read now not when he is 16 and using a cell phone.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• ''matthewscandi'',, children are using computers (at least) really young these days,, that's why I'm asking!
    mommy_sam

Comment by mommy_sam (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes. Take a look at the differences in everyday spelling ability today and even just 20 years ago.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 5:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Only if you let it....my kids don't use the computer much for school assignments and such aside from the oldest four. The younger two have used computers before, but have never used spell checker.....or it seems they haven't b/c they have many errors on the papers.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 6:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010