how did you take the binky away??? what age did you do so? how long before they stopped asking/needing it?

rileymommy

Asked by rileymommy at 3:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have never "taken it away" but my son is 19 months old and hardly ever uses it anymore. They are still around and sometimes if he sees it, he will pop it in his mouth. But he has never really used them other than for sleeping. I still use them for when he falls asleep on my breast...most times I can take my nipple out of his mouth and pop the pacifier in before he wakes up.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Our kids did not use them past a couple of months, but friends of ours let their girls use them until they were three. They never made an issue of it or had a problem with it. (But they never let them take them out of the house.) The girls eventually just stopped.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• We took it away at 6 months, except for nap and bedtime, which she still gets it during those times. She's almost a year old.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• we took it away at 18months. It took her a fews days.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I started prob. around a year old(aftera good amt of teeth had already come in and teething was an issue). For us it was NOT dramatic... I just did "out of side, out of mind" the min. he dropped it, I picked it up and put it in my pocket, if he asked I gen. gave it back.
    When it was really mostly time with out and I felt he could understand I started making it for car, bed, and dr. only (or other drama moments) but only if he asked and other than a couple of steps back when the dr. said I should give it back for a while b/c his sis was born... so I tried to just give it back but he basically was not all that interested in it. (he was 1 1/2 mon. when dd was born).

I like this method b/c its mellow, there was very little drama, it was kinda "child centered" but with limits and slow.
    Now... fingers I have NO IDEA what to do with!!!!!!

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• We cut a little piece off the tip each day for several days until it was no longer big enough to hold between her teeth. One of my daughters carried hers around for a while after that, but they all lost interest in the pacifier when they could no longer suck on it. Of course, my husband asked if I was going to take the same approach to weaning them from breastfeeding LOL!
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 8:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Honestly we dont give them to our kids, i think it is a way to help parents be lazy! JMHO! I have # 5 on the way, so dont think i dont understand the stress!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2010