I am at my witts end, at a loss

So my oldest is days shy of 2. His tantrums have increasingly gotten worse. It starts within minutes of waking lately. Dad bought popsicles the other day, I never got them before. I made popsicles out of yogurt, fruit and juice. Now he wants one first thing. Hubby said he is associating mine as well as the sugar ones to the same thing, because he always starts his morning with the yogurt ones. Obviously he knows the difference because when I give him a healthy one he throws it across the room and throws a royal fit for the others. So we threw them away this morning. Of course the fits go on all day, mainly when he can't have what he wants or he doesn't get something that split second. He is my son, no patience, and I acted the same way. Plus my hubby and I aren't quiet people, we're a lively couple. But I find myself screaming and making the situation worse sometimes. If I am calm I just ignore him and sit him in time out...

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 3:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was the same way...i finally just started sending him to his room and telling him to stay in bed and he can come back out when he was done throwing himself around. I would hear him in there for a few minutes crying screaming and all sorts of stuff, but I wouldn't allow him out until he was done. He finally caught in that the shorter the fit the sooner he gets out. Half the time he will go in there throw his butt for a few minutes and tbe done with it- on to the next thing. You have to stick to it though, don't let this get out of hand (seriously) My friend never did anything about her daughters fits and we went to the zoo today with them- yea, that will never haooen again- her kid even ruined it for me,lol. Good Luck
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 3:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• ..but in the last month I have found my patience slipping drastically. I yell back, feeding into it. And I have terrible thoughts, you know, like I want to just paddle his ass kind of things or smack his mouth or yell shut the hell up. Those kind of things. I already take a low dose of anxiety meds but don't even know if upping it would even help, I mean they are going to have fits daily and no drug is going to make it better. I have a 10 month old too and he is polar opposite. Calm and content, until of course brother starts the shrieking, then it upsets the baby. My hubby gives me breaks and helps out a lot. I know it's a phase and will pass, in a year or so LOL but I am emotionally exhausted with him. What do I do? I know, stay calm and don't feed into it, but realistically who can do that daily 50x a day?? I hate to dump him with my parents, he is not their problem LOL when I need a break. They have a life too. Help!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Well, we have paddled him. That does't phase him. He gets time out. When we go somewhere, like my gramma's I tell him, here is your time out chair if you aren't behaving. I walk away once I sit him down, but I just want to explode. Ahhh, I truely didn't think the terrible twos would be this terrible.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Just one idea.......is he getting enough one on one time with you and DH? Does he get praise for good behavior and when he does things right ? Plus plenty of hugs and kisses? He may be going for the negative attention because it is better than none, especially with a baby in the house. Our son did this when our youngest was born and we made an effort to take him out by himself because "he was a big boy and babies can't do this". It made all the difference in the world. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• be the adult and stick to your guns place him in time out till he stops screaming. do it a few times and he'll get it as for the popsicle thing just ban em till after lunch or altogether
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 5:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• He's 2 and it isn't going to get better till after 3. Of course he wants the sugar ice cream, he doesn't know that the other ones are healthier he just knows that he likes it better...your husband is right, it's the same thing to him. I have a hard time with this post cause you talk as if he is an adult, and he is still a toddler, still learning and testing his boundaries, he is just more vocal. As hard as it is you need to stay calm and parent him, not loose your cool and escalate it......trust me I know how hard it is.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2010