Spin off:::Pacifiers: when to stop Q

So my baby, 8mos, has a pacifier, he uses it to chew on when he's teething, (its the kind the hospital gives you) and he sometimes uses it to sleep, no other time though. My mom said
that HE(my son) was getting embarrassed that he was so old sucking a pacifier in public.
Okay, so I weaned him to just at sleep time, during the day it's basically another toy.

Yet I've seen older kids, walking around talking with a pacifier: my guess is 3 maybe 4 years old

So what is an appropriate age to rid of the pacifier?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My doc said that kids form habits around 15 months. So it is important to get rid things like pacifiers, bottles, co-sleeping at that point.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Never used one with my kid
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• my kids never have taken one, but i have heard around a year is best
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 3:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I never gave them one, I tried once with my son but he dident want it, my daughter since birth was a thub sucker so she dident want one either
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I don't let him suck on his hands at all, too convenient, my sis sucked her fingers until 6 my SO sucked his thumb until 18, that's why he got offered the pacifier, cause its something I can take away
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Mine used it until about 8 months then they figured out there was nothing in them so they wouldn't take it anymore lol
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My son is 10 months and just recently started losing interest on his own. He will only use it to fall asleep now, and once he's asleep, he spits it out. He's almost giving it up on his own. Last night he actually didn't want it to fall asleep when mu husband put him down for bed.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• ooooh good intel @SleepingBeautee
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I took my daughter's pacifier away at 2 and now she sucks her fingers. An 8 month old doesn't get embarrassed for anything least of all a pacifier. You can't "not let them suck on fingers" if they are going to do it you can't stop it. It is all for comfort and you should not want to take a comfort item away.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• @mattherscandi
    I don't let him suck his fingers PERIOD. He puts them in his mouth, I take them out and hand him a toy...simple...then he plays with that toy and forgets about sucking his fingers. I don't think that's a good habit at all and it's way too hard to break, so I'm preventing it.
    And it was a joke, meaning she was embarrassed for him.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2010