what is the easiest way to help a child with separation anxiety?

My daughter is 4 and will not let me get to far away from her she is fine around people we know but if she is around someone she has not seen in a while look out. im really worried about her starting preschool.

monica_sue_83

Asked by monica_sue_83 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It may take her a couple weeks at preschool, but truely the best thing to do is leave quickly. Lingering around makes it worse and disrupts the entire room... I taught preschool through college. They make friends quickly and have a great time after they adjust, and it doesn't take that long. It will be very healthy for her. Every Sunday my son has a fit when I take him to the nursery at church, but I leave and within a minute he is fine. He will be 2 this Wednesday. They just start to play and enjoy themselves.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have the same problem with my son, he's starting preschool soon and I'm really worried about the moment. but ''2BlondeBabies" is the best i guess as I heard from most of my friends who went through this before me. good luck.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 3:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Moms were allowed to stay for awhile where my son went to preschool. Then once the child was doing OK they left. See if that is a possibility for you. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• my daughters have been going to "school" for almost a year...my youngest doesn't have a problem with going... my eldest does. staying longer doesn't help, it only makes the separation even more traumatic. it's like a bandaid, ya just gotta rip that sucker off! lol. (i hate doing it, but it gets sooooo dramatic that if i don't, then i end up leaving without an item of clothing. she's ripped a shirt off of me. lol.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 6:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Children are like elastic bands when it comes to separation anxiety. It comes and goes throughout their development. If you can, visit the school ahead of time. There are some great books that you can be reading with her too over the next few weeks leading up to school: The Kissing Hand, Owl Babies, and Maisy Goes to Preschool. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there but those are three that we've read.
    As one of the other moms responded, keep your good bye short and sweet (the staff will help you with this). It will take her a while to adjust to the new faces and new routine but she'll be fine I'm sure. I'd been home with my boys since they were born and then suddenly I had the opportunity to go back to teaching. There is a preschool on campus (perfect). One of my boys is super shy but he made the transition quite smoothly so I'm confident your DD will too!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Get them EXCITED about school. First day of K for my son and prek for my daughter neither one cared I was leaving(made me sad but not as sad had they thrown fits) also if your picking up always be on time.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2010