Do You think I gave TMI,yesterday at school registration???

I took my kids to school registration yesterday,I met my ds and dd's teachers. I told my ds's teacher ALL about his behavior problems and how my dh and I are doing all that we can to help him. I am concerned about my ds getting along and I just wanted for her to be aware that he will need special help,a lot. Do you think I made myself look like a fool?I never know how to deal w/this since both my kids have ADHD.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 3:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in

• NO, I don't think you gave too much information. I think establishing a dialogue with your children's teachers is essential, and if/when a conflict arises, she knows you are aware and will be receptive to dealing with the problem--instead of accusing her or the school of some wrong-doing.

Both of my boys have mild autism, and my 8 year old is going into a regular 3rd grade classroom--no more autistic support! Naturally I am very nervous for him but know that he is ready, so long as he remembers his self-calming techniques and speak clearly to the teacher when he is upset or feeling overwhelmed,

My sons teachers, specialists and the Director of the Special Education Department and I have each other on speed dial...as i want to tell them what works for me and to be able to help them help my sons if needed. I take the approach that the school and I should work collaboratively to maximize my children's educational careers.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• As a teacher, I know I would appreciate that information. You did fine.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• not at all. at least she knows ahead of time what to expect, this way she doesnt think its a parenting thing and knows youre trying to help him
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• No, I think you did the right thing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• No not at all... It is best to inform the teachers this way they know what to expect and a better understanding of how to handle problems if they occure.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Not at all. I was up front and honest with my sons teacher, so she knows what to expect.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 3:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Nope my son is adhd too, he is going in to special classes, they will need all you know to help figure out where he is at.
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I don't think that was too much information at all. It's good that the teacher knows what's going on.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• For my son, I believe I set him up for failure when I was forthcoming with his behavior issues. I told her that he was a "button pusher" and he is, but by the end of the school year, he was spending more time sitting in the principal's office "calming down" than he spent in the classroom. Had I just told her that he was extra bright, and would respond well to extra credit work, etc... I believe that his kindergarten experience would have been much more fulfilling. Thankfully, he's going to our church school now, and his teacher has known him since birth, and understands how to deal with him most effectively. He's entering 2nd grade in 3 weeks, and reads at a 6th grade level, and is doing 4th grade level addition and subtraction. (2 and 3 digits, in his head) Sometimes, I believe that it's best to let the teachers form their own opinions.
    judybant

Answer by judybant at 3:41 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• As a teacher myself, it becomes quite obvious early on, which parents take an active role in their children's education, and which ones do not!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010