Is there anyone else who did not let their baby....

Suck on a digit, meaning a thumb, fingers, etc.???

I never let my son suck on his thumb or fingers, I have caught a thumb in there a few times but I take it out of his mouth and give him something to play with, or even something else to chew/suck on.

I have always been told to stop it and offer something that can be taken away, like a pacifier, or a teething ring, etc so a habit doesn't form.

What's your take on it?

What age do you think is too old to suck on a digit?

(I'll admit my sister stooped sucking 2 fingers at 6 and my SO sucked his thumb thru High School, My mom said I never formed that habit)

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter tried but I stopped her.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• she doesnt suck her thumb. she loves her B though (binky) but only at night/nap time or when shes nervous. shes 2 now. my cousin sucked her thumb until junior high and my best friend sucked her fingers until like 6th grade....i didnt want dd to develop that habit so i went right away with a B and she loves it
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I sucked my thumb till I was probably around 10. My parents did everything in the book to get me to stop, putting all kinds of things on my thumbs, it didn't stop me. So no wonder my older son who is almost 2 still sucks on a bottle to sleep, he sucks on them when they are empty. My niece is a month younger than him and does the same thing with her bottle. So I am opposite of you LOL I fear the weeks when the baby we have who is 10 months looses the bottles, cause it's the older one who will be hard to ween.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agree that you should discourage them. My Cousin still holds hise middle and ring fingers to his mouth, though he doesn't actually suck on them anymore. He's in college now. It's always going to be one of those things for some kids that are forever a comfort. And it's better to never allow it to start. I agree in giving them something else to chew on/suck on that can easily be taken away.

My son chewed on his fingers and still sometimes does, but not in any way to comfort himself. My daughter puts a finger in her mouth every so often, but not nearly as much as most kids her age.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My girls never did the thumb,finger or binky ...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Mine never tried, but I would have discouraged it. My sister, now in high school, still sucks her thumb on occasion. I just wouldn't want them to get in the habit. A binky or teething ring you could take away, but it's hard to take away a digit, lol.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• None of my sucked on their digits.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• MIne all tried but I offered them binks or teethers instaed. I just didnt like the germ factor of it.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My girls never tried to, I didn't give them pacifers or anything to suck on, if they would have tried I would have taken it away.
    renijazzysmom

Answer by renijazzysmom at 4:41 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thumb suckers are happy babies because their soother is always with them; however, a thumb sucker in the 6th grade is a little much,
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010