what kind of shampoo is good to use on my dog?

Fred needs a bath, I need a reasonably priced shampoo with a fresh-smelling scent..He's basset hound and he stinks bad! what do you guys recommend?

HauntedStarr

Asked by HauntedStarr at 5:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Pets

• well I could really not pick a best answer because you all added something helpful, so thanks to all of you..the natural oatmeal soap is what I had used in the past, Fred's dog food is formulated with yogurt but I may start adding some to his daily feeding and the man and tail shampoo and the pert plus sound like great ideas for the future. I actually use Pert Plus sometimes for my family..I think thats a wonderful, inexpesnive idea when I am in a bind, thanks step!
    HauntedStarr

Answer by HauntedStarr at 11:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have used Hartz Aromatherapy shampoo on my german shepherd. The lavender scent is awesome and he seemed to like it! Its only about $4-6 bucks at walmart.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Bassets are known for their houndy smell. Bathing may not help much. Try a hydrocortisone shampoo, check their ears and keep them clean. Try adding 2 tbs. of plain or vanilla yogurt to the morning feeding. Hope this helps. Any other questions, ask away!
    Bassetmomx4

Answer by Bassetmomx4 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Wow Bassetmom sounds like she really hit the nail on the head. I prefer a natural shampoo with oatmeal to sooth skin. I have a golden retriever yellow lab mix. However-her coat is soft and not greasy. If Hounds are like Lab's their coats can be very greasy and finding the right shampoo is good but I really like the suggestion of the pro biotic with the yogurt idea. I like the shampoo that Trader Joe's sells or any other simple natural least ingredient soap. If they have fleas leave the soap on for 10 minutes. fleas cannot survive in suds they drown and can't breathe and die. I use a flea comb, vacuum and bath's to combat them without pesticides in the home. Hope this helps!

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 8:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• No he has no fleas..just since he is low to the ground he is more prone to being stinky..lol I prefer oatmeal shampoo too, I had abottle but I can't seem to find it and I don't remember the name. He needsa good bath..he's a big ole grass roller and he is kinda dirty

HauntedStarr

Answer by HauntedStarr at 9:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I advise you to discontinue using any of the Hartz or Sargeants or similar type brands. They add alot of unecessary chemicals that can acually burn your dog's skin. Try some of the pet stores online that offer all natural shampoos, especially ones with oatmeal. www.drsfostersmith.com
    and www.entirelypets.com have decent prices or just do a search for pet supplies online. Good Luck
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Pertplus has a good smell, has a conditioner, and fleas hate it!
    steponme

Answer by steponme at 11:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I use baby shampoo.. i
    CodysMommy07

Answer by CodysMommy07 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Do you remember the Mane and Tail Horse Shampoo that people discovered worked really well for human hair ? Well I've never used it myself, but after trying about everything Wal Mart has in the pet section, I decided to try the Mane and Tail....it works great on our two Shi-Tzus....leaves their hair very silky and them smelling fresh. I also really like the lather, its very thick and spreads well. The other "dog shampoos" Ive tried, you have to use a ton to get the lather up well enough to really wash them.
    tralynnme

Answer by tralynnme at 6:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

•  Depends on the problem.... I think your kid may have an overgrowth of Yeast ....( smell)

Stop by and read other answers on this subject....

Here are my links - Stop by and ask a question, any time.

All experts

http://www.allexperts.com/expert.cgi?m=1&catID=3721&expID=98627

http://www.allexperts.com/expert.cgi?m=1&catID=3799&expID=96050

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 11:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008