my two year old wont go to bed b4 3am and she is up at like 9 am and she doesnt even take naps so i dont get to bed until 4 or 5 and my 8 month old is up between 4-7am any advice on getting them on the same schedule or at least gettin my 2 yr old asleep earlier?

2gyrlzandaboi

Asked by 2gyrlzandaboi at 3:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Uh you need to make your 2 year old go to bed a reasonable hour. Your the boss. 2 years old is plenty old enough to have rules. Make her.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The parents are in charge, not the child. Put her to bed at a reasonable and consistent bedtime every night, put her back to bed every time she gets up. Same thing with naps. You make that decision, not the child.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agree with mommom, you are the one in charge. You can tell her that if she isn't ready to go to sleep at whatever you consider a reasonable time, that she can sit on her bed and play quietly, or even remain in her room. You can leave the light on for her so she can see if she wants to play or look at books, but no leaving her room.

Answer by Bmat at 4:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I set the bedtime in my house, not my children. Put her to bed at a decent hour and wake her when you want her awake in the morning.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Who's in charge here? Sounds like your 2yo is. Set limits and rules, that's what you're supposed to do as a parent. The sooner you start setting limits and enforcing the rules in your home the better. Bed time in my home is 7:00pm. Yeah sure sometimes my boys put up a fight, but they still go to bed when it's time for bed. I don't let me kids walk all over me and I sure as heck don't let them think they run my house.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 4:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• What is your bedtime routine? If you don't have one, get on one and stick with it. We do bath (every other night) then a story, song and prayers and then it is lights out. They are in bed between 7 and 8. No drinks, no one more story. Sometimes my oldest (4 and a half) tries to procrastinate but we just say "It's bedtime" and put him back in bed. It might take you a few nights to get on a schedule but it will be worth it once you do. Six hours of sleep is not nearly enough for a 2 year old.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 4:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Benedryl LOL...
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agree with most of these ladies. You just have to make your child go to bed. You are the parent you choose when bed time is. And like the others said, you need a set bed time routine that you stick with so that your children know bed time is coming. For my son we do a bath every night, then he gets stories and songs in his room, gets a kiss goodnight and it's bed time.
    And even for your 8 month old, getting up at 4 am isn't an option... fine if they need to eat, but then it's back to bed. At least until 6:00.
    Start structured naps and quiet time... if your 8 month old takes an afternoon nap then it's time for your 2 year old to have some quiet time too, even if she doesn't sleep she has to lay down in a quiet spot (not watching TV) for an hour.
    The rest of the day keep her active so she burns off some of that energy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010