When/How to harvest sunflower seeds?

I have grown some big 6-7 foot sunflowers, and the packet the seeds came in said I could harvest sunflower seeds from them. So my question is when and how to do that? There is one that is drooping over and I can see the bottoms of the seeds in there where the yellow stuff has fallen from the middle of the flower. Do I just cut it and pull out the seeds, or wait for them to fall on their own? And then what do I do with them so we can eat them?

debbymichelle

Asked by debbymichelle at 3:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• if the flowery things are off the face of the sunflower, they are ready to harvest. Also you can pull one out and open the seed to see if there's a sunflower seed in there. it maybe better to do the upside down method like PP said, we took them straight out and i cant remember if we soaked the sunflower seeds in water or if we moistened them a bit so we could salt them and then bake them till dryed.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060828095857AAdwtnb

hope the link helps
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You need to cut the flower and allow it to hang upsidedown and dry. Then you can remove the seeds. You can roast them in the shell, just like pumpkins seeds.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I noticed the sun flowers around here have clear baggies tied around the tops?? I thought they were their to catch the seeds...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The Baggies could be to keep the birds and squirrels from eating them. You dry them so that the seeds come out, if you bag them they may mold. We always hung ours upside in the barn.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2010