Canning Moms: Have you reused canning lids?

I first canned fruit for my family to eat during the winter 2 years ago, and today I'm canning for the 2nd time ever. I know that the lids are supposed to be used only one time, but I feel that's just because the company doesn't want to be liable for people getting sick over canned foods that weren't properly sealed. So my question is if you have ever reused your canning lids, even twice, with good or bad results? After all, you'd check the seal on the jars before storing them away anyway, right?

debbymichelle

Asked by debbymichelle at 4:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I always use new lids. When a lid seals, part of that rubber compound is compacted to make the seal. I do not trust it to be as good as a lid with a fresh rubber seal and I refuse to take a chance with food spoilage or poisoning just for the price of a new lid.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• We always use new lids, we've gotten food poisoning from using old lids. Was horrible.
    Dr.Pepper10

Answer by Dr.Pepper10 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, sterilized lids that are not even slightly bent are completely reusable. Like you said, you check the seals on everything as you go along.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Once you sterilize them, if they seal tight you are good to go!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I reuse the rings but never the flat part. I have never even tried to reuse those because they have a rubber compound that becomes dry with any kind of age on them, plus the exposure to high heat would hasten their deterioration. I guess if you can get them to seal, they could be okay, but I have never wanted to risk losing all my time and hard work.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:41 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• back in the days when did alot of canning we always use new lids. it would been wast if it spoiled so i go for new lids each time we do canning
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• ya i reuse theem - i just pop them in my dishwasher- but you can boil them and they willl be fine as long as the seal is still good.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would never re-use a jar flat (lid), would be asking for trouble if the seal came undone. I do re-use the rings, until they get too rusty. I do use the flats on storage jars of beans, pasta, etc., and other things that are not canned such as salad dressing. I have tons of canning jars, especially quarts and use mostly pints, so use the quarts often for storage.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I always reuse. I'm one of those crazy follow the rules types.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have never canned, but I can't see why you couldn't reuse them if they are properly sterilized.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010