Has anyone gone through a divorce and their mothers took the side of the soon to be ex son in law?

Wondering how many people have either experienced, or know someone who has, the daughters "mother" supporting the soon to be ex son in law during the divorce despite not ever liking him in the first place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• I sort of experienced that. My Mom felt bad for my first husband, she had known him since we were 17 and he was "like a son" to her. She basically didn't support me at all through the divorce and kept saying how great she thought he was. Lots of hard feelings there -- and me telling her SHE should marry him then. Meh. She has never been divorced, my parents have been married 40+ years and she couldn't relate to what I was going through.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yep, my aunt did this to my cousin. She was acting a slut and runnin around. She stood up for him in court and he got the kids. She has to pay support and only supervised visits. My auntie don't talk to her no more.
    Anonymous

• when my parents divorced after 20 some years of marriage, my grandma picked my dad over my mom, (my moms mom) to this day she still picks my dad over my mom. My mom and stepdad were married for 2 years before my grandma finally started to show the slightest little inkling of liking my stepdad. She used to cring when my stepdad tried to hug her. She'll invite my dad over for dinner like once a month but she hasnt invited my mom over for nearly a year. This year she invited my dad over for a really nice birthday dinner, my mom cant remember the last time that she was invited for birthday dinner. She'll let my grandpa come over and help my stepdad do siding on the house, but refuses to come along. If somethings wrong at her house she'll ask my dad to come over and fix it. Its strange, but my dad doesnt know that the relationship is strained with my grandma and my mom and doesnt want to hurt my grandmas feelings
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My grandmother (my father's mother) sided with my mother when my parents divorced. My dad cut her out of his life, along with most of his siblings, years ago. He didn't even go to his father's funeral, and probably won't go to his mother's when she dies either. It's sad, really. But then again, I can't really blame grandma for her choice. My dad was a real ass about it all... lol...
    Anonymous