Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teen daughter has a baby at 17,the babys father dont want anything to do with the pregnacy,the baby is 6 months old now and she wants her new boyfreind to sign the birth certificate.question is can he without the biological dad being involved? he has never showed any intrest in his baby and dont want anything to do with what he calls "IT"

Answer Question

Asked by pegsue2 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (25)
  • Did the father of her child sign the birth certificate? If he didnt, then yes she could, if he did then she needs his permission, sucks i know, but thats how it is.

    Answer by kaymarie1473 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • In our state, if the mother is married, she can only have her husband on the birth certificate or the father has to be left blank and it doesn't matter who the father is. Each state has their own rules, so just to be safe and legal, I would check out the regulations in your state just to be on the safe side.

    Answer by Cbous at 6:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • This is just my opinion. She's jumping the gun. She's wanting the first guy that show's interest in her and the baby to sign the birth certificate. She's young. Odds are, this person that she's wanting to sign the BC will not be around for long. If he signs then HE is responsible now for child support for the rest of his life, even though the child is not his.

    I don't see where the rush is on having someone sign off the BC. If this guy does sign and they break up, where does that leave everyone? A big mess, that's where it leaves everyone.

    As far as the bio dad she needs to stop ALL contact with him if she doesn't want him in the babies life. He'll eventually move on if he's not interested. I'm so sorry she's dealing with a jackass for a bio dad.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • not a good idea. really. like above said this guy could be gone too (no matter what he says. esp. if he's young as her and if he's not as young as her then makes a person wonder why he's w/ a 17 yr old..) anyway, if he leaves then he is still responsiable. He could also come back & say he is not the dad & they would do a DNA test & find he is not then take him off the certificate. then she's back where she started anyway. and you would think if someone finds out they lied they might get in trouble? not sure on that one; just a thought.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • If they know he is not the dad he cant just sign & say he is. They wont let him. If he is lying to say he is the dad, then, really is that right? Regardless of whether bio dad wants anything to do w/ the whole situation. Bio dad should still be held responsiable for support. Remember child support does NOT equal vistation rights. Of course, if he shows no interest that wouldn't be a problem right? Also, is she planning on just lying to the baby its whole life about who the dad is? Would you want to be lied to?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • Just tell her to relax and wait. Technically, he can allow his name to be put on the birth certificate. But, they are young and just because right now he wants to play daddy doesn't mean in a year or two he will. If they get married he can always adopt the baby in a few years and then it will all be legal and they can be a happy family.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • He can if there isn't a father's name on the birth certificate already. Should he? Hell no. It wouldn't be true. A lie is a lie. If he really wants to be the daddy, he should marry your daughter and adopt the baby. That just seems shady and destined for trouble to me. Be careful!!!! They're playing with fire.

    Answer by shmorris56 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • That sounds like a terrible idea.....for too many reasons to even list.

    Answer by RentaMom at 11:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • Why would she let the first dang guy that comes along sign on to be the "daddy"!!! That is so immature. She needs to wait, file for child support, and not worrying about any other man adopting her child until they are MARRIED. And the young man agreeing to it must be an idiot--he will then be responsible. IF he really loves her, marry her, and then make the child his own. It amazes me the immaturity of young women (and men) and this whole idea of playing house!!! Children are involved--little minds and hearts are involved--this isn't a game!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • Why would she let the first dang guy that comes along adopt her child? She needs to wait, file for support from the bio dad, and then get on with her life and not let every guy that comes along be called "daddy."!!! If the guy really loves her, let him marry her and then adopt the child. I can't believe the immaturity of young women (and men) who all want to "play house" until it isn't any fun, and they move on to the next victim. This isn't a game--little hearts, and minds are involved. I am all for adoption into two parent households where the child hopefully will have a better chance. If she knows who the dad is, she really needs to have him sign off his rights legally--or he can come back any time and prove his paternity and cause a lot of problems--no matter who is on the certificate!


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.