Did you grow up in the *neighborhood daycare*?

I grew up in suburban NY, the school age kids were home and some mom/dads, the kids spent the day outside playing and checked in with someone's house if the parents both worked.

We all knew each other and rarely had problems, boy times have changed!

kerryket

Asked by kerryket at 4:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL... I was NEVER in the house. I also never got snacks between meals, or juice boxes, or piano lessons. (the last one I'm still kind of bitter about)

And as soon as my siblings were old enough to walk, they got kicked out of the house, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agree. I grew up in a tiny tiny tiny town in Idaho, and my grandma owned the local daycare. During summer, it was fun because we had the summer camp for the kiddos, so I got to run around all the time and enjoy the summer vacation experience, while being with my grandma all day long. I was always there or with my friends playing, and we always checked in with our parents or at anothers about because our parent/s weren't available. I always felt bad for the other kids though whose parents ALWAYS had something better to do than play with their kids or just spend time with them, even during the holidays. I can't even count how many Christmas's we spent watching other kids.

I'm a stay at home mom now, and wouldn't trade the time with my baby for the world!
    Vashtiruescode3

Answer by Vashtiruescode3 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I grew up the same way!!! ;o)
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 5:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I grew up on a farm in eastern NC with a SAHM (like most farm wives). I never went to a daycare. I put my children in "daycare" at a friend's home. They didn't know they were in daycare. They thought they were playing.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I grew up with my mom at home & I knew everyone on my street.. I honestly dont recall much until after school started though.. I also did not attend Prek & went to 1/2 day Kindergarten...

I am also a SAHM & I am unsure if DD will attend PreK.. She has a late Bday so all her friends she has now will go to school 1 yr before her :( we do plan on putting her in activities like dance or something this year, which I never went to.. SAHM back in the day were just that.. they stayed AT HOME! lol...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• no. had wonderful grandparents on both sides.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 2:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No I didn't grow up like that.
    Princess7777

Answer by Princess7777 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No I grew up in a strict house we werent allowed to go out much :(
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I grew up in Chicago, and it was much the same way.

In our current Chicago neighborhood (the same one I grew up in), we trade child care on a more formal basis.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I was always watched, and so are my kids! I am against free-roaming kids! My son goes outto play (by himself) but not only does he have to check in, he has to tell me if he leaves the specific area i told him he could play in! I am having # 5 soon, and we will not allow any of them outside alone time til age 6!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2010