What does freedom of religion mean to you?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 4:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Having the freedom to believe and FOLLOW whatever religious path (or lack there of) which one chooses without threat of legal action, harassment, or harm because of those beliefs (or lack of).

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It means you practice whatever floats your boat and I'll practice what floats mine. It means don't come preach to me about your beliefs unless I ask and I'll have the same courtesy. It means don't feed my small children lines of biased bullshit until they're old enough to UNDERSTAND and ask questions.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think a lot of people confuse freedom of religion with freedom "from" religion though

Two sides, same coin and I can give you a similar scenario that involves Christians trying to include the word "God" in everything. 1954 and our pledge comes to mind. Having it not there wasn't impeding on your rights and no one was making you not believe. So really your arguement is moot.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• it means im free to practice whatever religion/belief system i chose however i chose (within the law) or to not practice any religion at all w/out fear of the government jailing/burning/killing/prosecuting me. it means the government wont make laws that punish anyone for their beliefs and will not disallow anyone of any faith to be apart of government run jobs (president, military, congress, mayor, city clerk etc) or rights of citizens (voting, welfare, public schools). it means children in public schools dont have to sit thru prayers to a God they dont believe in and it SHOULD mean that others dont have to follow the rules of another faith.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• To me it means that I can believe in what I want with out being persecuted for what I believe in by others that do not see the way that I do.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• being able to choose what u want to believe and not have someone else shove their religion down your throat or to not be ostracized cause of your religion. it seems freedom of religion only applies to Christians and aithiest and not those in between
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You are free to believe and practice or not believe and not practice whatever religion or not that you wish so long as it does not harm another.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Amazing that this is a country proclaiming religious freedom, when everyone is expected to be Christian.

BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 5:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I can tell what it doesn't mean......it doesn't mean that I HAVE to be a christian. Or that any religion has the right to make or determine FOR me, what is appropriate for me in my private life. It doesn't mean any religion should or can expect me to believe and abide by their own personal beliefs or their god.
    It means I am allowed to live my life according to my own beliefs, without interference by other nosey bodies who think their god is the ONLY god, and that my path is the wrong path.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• you can believe what you belive in... if that makes any sence
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2010