At what age did you take the toddler guard rails off your LO's bed?

I have a 2 year old, deaf princess who I'm terrified of taking the little side guard rail thingie off of her bed. I have one of those convertible cribs, and it's currently in the daybed setting with the guard up. She's such an active little bugger in her sleep, and with her Cochlear Implants, I don't want her to fall out and hit her head and break the hardware inside (she's head injury prone as it is! Every time she gets hurt, it's her head, no fail).

She doesn't have a box spring yet, so we can't get another guard rail to place on the other side and just do away with the last big crib side, but I really want to re-arrange her room so she isn't sleeping on the outside wall of her room. Any suggestions?

Vashtiruescode3

Asked by Vashtiruescode3 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest never had one, he slept with daddy til he was beyond that. My lil one is 3 and even with one he falls out of bed, so it will be awhile.

I would say it is gonna vary from child to child, but if you think she still needs it, use it. Always better safe than sorry.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• When mine were 18months, I put a mattress on the floor for them. When they were about two and half, I purchased really nice captains beds for them...no rails. I kept a soft comforter on the floor next to their beds and they never got hurt.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Around 3
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I switched mine from cradle to crib and only put in toddler bed when they climbed outta the crib. Then when the toddler bed was too short for them then I took the sides off by having a single bed. If you feel she'd do better with them on just delay taking them off for awhile more.better to be safe than sorry right? move the bedroom around -you might find a different look be worth keeping the sides on.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I skipped the whole toddler bed. At 2, we got my son a regular bed and a mattress without a box spring. His bed did come with rails that inserted into the frame (It is a sleigh bed with wood frame rails) we didn't use them for long, they were a pain in the butt. He's never fallen out.... I agree with momof4kids257... do what you need to do to keep her safe and what is most reassuring to you.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2010