Why Do People Keep Gastric Bypass Surgery a Secret??

why do people want to keep it a secret that they are having gastric bypass surgery?
there is an extended family member that just had this done secretly...told only their elderly mom to tell anyone who questioned anything that it was "gall bladder surgery" but, gee - everyone knows gastri bypass...but we're suppose to keep it quiet & not speak about it - ever! why? i mean after they lose the weight...will it be o.k. to talk about then? i have such an... open mind and really try to understand everyone's stance. anyone have an opinion?See More

Leezah

Asked by Leezah at 5:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• For some people, it's not a choice. Or the choice is die in 6 months or get the surgery and hope that it works. For others, it is more of a choice because they could probably lose it on their own. Regardless, I just think that a lot of people who go through it have struggled with the decision at some point and maybe they just want to avoid talking about it. I've never been in a situation where I had to have it done, but I do have 3 very close friends that have all had it done and have been very successful at keeping the weight off. Today, you would never know that they had it done. So.... maybe they just don't want the drama or emotion that might surround the topic of their weight loss struggle. As for character weakness,,,, I guess people that get breast implants or reductions, nose jobs, etc might also be considered having a "weak" character. I don't agree with that though.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Because of rude, judgmental assholes like the ones who've already answered the question
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have a cousin who had it and she was made fun of by other family members. But she looks great though. I just don't talk to her because she became super stuck up. I never mentioned it to her. I am actually happy for her.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Because of the stigma attached. Just like most people won't admit to having their nose done or having lipo done, because people tend to think of those who have surgery for better looks as vain or weak, when in fact many times those surgeries are done for other reasons - or in the case here, medical reasons... So rather than deal with the drama and ridicule, it's best to just keep ones mouth shut...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Because there are TONS of unintelligent, narrow-minded, judgemental people out there who unfortunately outnumber the intelligent, open-minded ones. I developed a metabolic condition, along with hyhpothyroidism in my early 20's. I ended up not getting diagnosed until I was 25, 258 pounds and a size 24 (at 5'0"). After 1 year of research followed by 1 year of the approval process.. I had my surgery in 2003. I lost 130 pounds, I'm now a size 4 or 6, depending on brand, and it's still a constant struggle every single day. Do I need that bite of ice cream? No! Do I want dressing on that? No! Meanwhile, it's just a little bit easier because I don't feel so hungry all the time that it feels like my stomache is trying to eat through my spine
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 5:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Meanwhile, as the daughter of a morbidly obese woman with overweight relatives, my mom, and all 4 of her siblings have congestive heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and my mom's brother just had triple bypass surgery last month (he's 45).
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 5:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• They feels like its their personal business and they dont have to tell everybody or talk about it...people do make them feel bad for having it done so most people dont tell everybody...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Because it shows a character weakness to not being able to lose weight on one's own, or at least perceived as.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 5:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• al of your answers were right on!
    Leezah

Comment by Leezah (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Because they know it isn't right and they are embarrassed about having it done.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2010