What happens if someone was baptised as a child but did not except Jesus intot heir lives until lately? Do they need to get baptised again?

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 5:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personal choice. If they feel like getting baptized again, they should.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think so since baptism is an outward picture of what has happened on the inside in the heart of a person. If nothing had happened the first time, that would render it meaningless to me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would say not.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I was baptised when I was younger and don't beleive in god.

I would assume that if I decided to beleive in god at some point, that I would see getting baptised again to show my acceptence of the religion as I am now.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would say yes. "baptising" babies is just getting them wet. there is nowhere in the bible where babies are baptised. throughout the whole bible, baptism is by immersion (going totally under the water), it wasn't until later that the catholic church brought in sprinking babies.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think this is something to be done on personal conviction and through personal prayer. When I was baptised I didn't have the spiritual understanding to completely realize what a relationship with Christ actually meant. There are many people who are active in the church and go through all the motions without the slightest change in their lives. I think it was because I just wasn't actively seeking the relationship. It took a couple of years before I came to Jesus on my own and realized the difference. The difference was major and it was all in the relationship.

I believe it is the spiritual rebirth that the baptism represents but that if you aren't spiritually aware at the time, sometimes the changes don't occur simultaneously. That's not to say that baptism is worthless because God knows our hearts and if we take the first step he will meet us where we are..sometimes we are hard headed and it takes him pursuing us!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2010