gallbladder issues (im pregnant too)

I have had moderate to severe upper abdominal pain since about feruary. It happens on and off but is increasing in frequency. It is in the center of my stomach right below my ribs and the pain shoots through to the back of my back in hte center right below my shoulder blades. Well anyways I went for a gallbladder ultrasound and it took hte lady a long time to get all the pictures and I dont get the results until monday at the earliest. my dr was thinking it was an ulcer but with treatment its still not gone and i dont have the bacteria in my blood that indicates ulcer. NO MEDICINE Helps. I have tried taking all the over the counter stuff and also have been prescribed 3 different meds in the last few months. Could this indicate something is wrong with my gallbladder??oh and I am currently 9 weeks pregnant. can you have your gallbladder removed while preggo????

ProudMama4ever

Asked by ProudMama4ever at 6:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Health

• They can remove when your pregnant but depends on how serve the pain is and also if the treatments stop working. they could have you wait to get it out til the baby is born
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 7:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, it sounds like it's your gallbladder. I had the same thing when I was pregnant. I suffered and hardly ate at all. I managed the pain and had it removed after my DS was born. I only gained 25 lbs. during the pregnancy and I weighed less after I gave birth than before I got pregnant. You probably had gall stones for a while but the hormones during pregnancy aggravate the issue. I can tell you one good thing, the pain of childbirth is less than the pain of a gall stone attack. Hope you feel better and stay away from foods that are hard to digest like broccoli, carrots and fatty foods.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• STAY AWAY FROM LETTUCE/SALADS!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it is your gallbladder...these will only make it flare up worse!!!!! Weird, right??? But, I learned the hard way and from my specialist doc that these can really irritate your gallbladder symptoms. Yes, the docs can remove it...but they will only do so if neccessary. Of course no doc wants to do surgery on a pregnant person...unless it's a have to thing. I also found that nothing, other than having it taken out, helped. Just try to catch what you eat that makes it act up...and stay away from it. HTH!!! Good luck, and best wishes for you and the baby.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 7:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It sounds like your gallbladder to me. They may or may not operate while you're pregnant. Sometimes it's not vital that it be removed right away. Best of luck and try not to worry!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• For me, I noticed that it was mainly fatty foods that made me flare up. I never had a problem with lettuce, thank goodness! Try to stay away from fatty/greasy foods because these make your gallbladder work harder. Also, whenever you have an attack, think back to what you ate about an hour before the attack started. There is a good chance that's a trigger food. Good luck, and I hope you are able to manage the pain!
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2010