What is a good age to start potty training?

My son is 1 and 8 months, will be 2 in December. I can't remember what age my daughter was potty trained. Is he still too small?

crystal_88

Asked by crystal_88 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The will give you signs! As soon as he is showing you that he he wants to be changed inside of fighting it. They really have to be ready for it mentally or it won't happen.
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't put an age on it. It depends when your child is showing signs that they are ready.

You can try at any age but if they're not ready, they're not going to do it and you're wasting precious time and effort. If they are ready, sweet!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Its really different for each child. From what I have read boys generally take longer than girls.
    When he is showing signs of being ready would be a good time to gently push.
    I wouldn't push too hard if he isn't realy ready though, because he could come to resent potty training totally and it will take longer.
    Good luck!!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• when they start becoming interested
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My LO will be 2 in Oct. she is starting, about 2 months ago she started streaking LOL she hates wearing diapers and hates going potty on the potty and the toilet so we are sort of at a stale mate, she will hold it for a long time so I let her go an hour or so then I make her put the diaper on again and every time I go potty she sits in there with me. Eventually she will get it. My oldest started doing it the day after her 3rd birthday, fully before then she would only do #2 it was like a switch flipped.
    m0ml0v3s2

Answer by m0ml0v3s2 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2010