many questions about breastfeeding please help!!!!

OK so my baby is almost 2 weeks, I wasn't going to breastfeed but I am still leaking and leaning towards breastfeeding because she is having soooo many problems with formula......

I do NOT want to breastfeed I want to pump.. would I be able to 2 weeks after birth? they still hurt and still have milk in them I just don't know how much.....

If it is possible what can and can't I do while breastfeeding.... I love pop and drink a lot of it, will it hurt the baby??? I am finally off the pain killers so that won't be a problem but I do take motrin when i have a headach or something, is that alright??? can I eat anything I want???

sorry but I really have no Idea on what to do here!!! please help me!!!!!!!!!

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 7:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can pump and it will be enough, you just builid up, after awhile it will be enough. you can have soda and drink-but no more than three in a 24 hours period. My dd pediatrician told me that-I'm not makin it up, so don't send me hate mail. you will want to eat blander foods, and then try gassier or spicy foods one at a time to find out what your baby can handle. motrin shouldn't be a problem either.
    best of luck to you and your new bundle of joy!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You can pump....though I disagree that it will be enough....in some cases it is, in some cases it isn't. It is generally easier to pump when you have the child at the breast at least a little bit of time. As far as eating, soda, etc....generally there is no issue, though your baby may have a reaction to something you eat and you may have to cut back on that food (spicy, etc).

I pumped exclusively for four months and then my milk dried up......another child it took less time....for my son that nursed as well as got breastmilk in a bottle, I was able to pump the whole time he nursed.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 8:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, you can pump. Chances are you ill lose your supply a lot faster than if you breastfed. There are some teas you can drink to help with this.

You will want to pump every hour for maximum output. You won't pump as much as your baby could suckle from tap.

How much pop do you drink? It should be ok as long as your also drinking plenty of water.
    As far as what to eat, healthy foods are best, but really you can eat just about anything. Balanced diet is what's important.
    On the med, I'm not sure id have to look it up.
    If you drink any alcohol, pump and dump afterwards.

Good luck!!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• well i can't give you any tips about pumping..... i am really not good with that lol. i have tips about your diet though. i think the only reason to limit soda would be if it has caffiene in it. i would drink caffiene free soda (like sprite), but even caffiene free coke or pepsi still has a small amount of caffiene so if you're drinking that, try to limit it. some babies are more sensitive to caffiene than others (with my boys it wouldn't make a difference a little here or there, but with my girl she gets hyper from it real easy!). i never had the need to eat bland foods..... the only foods i would watch out for are cabbage and broccoli. sometimes they can give the baby gas. motrin and tylenol are ok to take for headaches when you need it. gl hun!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You can eat anything you want and drinking soda is fine. For medications... you can take motrin and tylenol and most over the counter medications. You can have a drink or two and that is okay too...

For pumping... get a good quality pump like Medela... and start pumping every 2 hours to start with. It might take time to build up your supply. It takes a lot of time and commitment to exclusively pump... but you can do it!

My friend exclusevley pumped for 12 months :)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You should be ble to pump just fine but I must warn you it is easier if you just put baby to the breast. Babies are just more efficient at getting milk out but any bit of breastmilk will help. You can eat anything you want and drink soda. Just make sure you drink plenty of water. You can have a drink or two without having to pump and dump.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 8:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• so even if I don't pump enough I can still add it in with the formula? I don't mean same bottle I can just feed her what I pump and then sub formula when i don't get enough??? that won't mess with her system and make her grumpy or gassy??? I am scared to try and start this just to find out that I can't do it anyway... I have been wearing a sports bra to dry it up but they still hurt and I squeezed some milk out of them really easy today so I know I still have some I am just afraid that i don't have much or it will dry up and she will still have to be on formula
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Your breasts will respond to pumping. Hold your baby a lot. It really helps your milk supply. If you can hold your baby whole pumping, it will make it easier.

Don't get discouraged. Many women can only pump 1-2 oz per breast each time they pump. This is normal. Most breast milk fed babies need to eat every 90 mins to 1 hour in the beginning, so you will pump frequently.

Honestly, you might get lazy with all the pumping and sick baby frustration and try putting your baby directly to the breast. I'm not ashamed to say that my favorite thing about nursing is not washing bottles.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Like everyone else said, you can eat and drink what you want, take motrin etc. If you want to give your baby breastmilk you need to rent a hosptial grade pump (like the Medela Symphony) and start pumping. Pump every 2 hours during the day and once at night MINIMUM. The more you pump, the more milk you will make. Even if you only get out a little bit the first day, keep trying and it should increase. The more milk you take out, the more milk your body will make.

Watch and follow the steps in this vidoe Maximizing milk production when pumping

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• i was just going to use a hand pump?
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2010