Have you ever heard of hiring a private teacher to homechool your child?

Do you know the cost and where to find one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in

• Yes, teachers do this on the side to supplement their income, in Miami, they charge 30.00 an hour or so.

Answer by older at 8:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It sounds good to me, if I could afford it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would totally do that if I could afford it. I'd rather home school my son, but I don't trust my capability to teach him well. I'm not patient and I don't explain things very well. My friend home schools and I tell ya if she lived here, I would absolutely pay her to do it and I know she'd be glad to (hell, she'd probably do it for free, but I'd still insist on paying her something).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have heard of it and its VERY expensive-private teachers/tutors charge $30 and up here in Denver as well. You could consider a free on-line school through the many school districts that have it-you do not usually even have to live in the district to utilize it, you just have to be committed to the program. If you want to use your own curriculum and have someone else teach it-it will cost you a small fortune!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, I actually homeschool a boy along with our two girls. I couldn't tell you what going rate is, he asked me to teach him after his mom decided he could be "homeschooled" and just drop out so I do it for nothing. I'd love to find another few kids to work with and get paid for it though.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yep, that's what Michal Jackson did :) As for average every day people? I've heard of parents hiring tutors for certain subjects or trading off with other homeschoolers which is cheaper then paying someone money. I know one homeschooling Mom (Sally) that is great in Math and another that is great in English (Peggy). So they do a trade off. Peggy, whose good at English teaches Sally kid's English. In return Sally teaches Peggy's kids Math.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Sure if u have the money too why not. That's what some of the movie stars do. Live like the stars the good life.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yeah. There was a "private school" where we moved from that charge $200 per calendar year plus the cost of the books and fees.
    JDBacon

Answer by JDBacon at 3:07 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Maybe you could find a student teacher or a substitute teacher that would be willing to help you out for fair pay. Contact the school for a list or even see if they'd work with you to find someone (not sure if they can just hand out a list of name & numbers).
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I know of people who have done this. I have a friend who is a French teacher and she works for a family almost full time teaching the kids.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2010