Do you know anything about the Employee Free Choice Act ?

The Congress is being called back to vote on this bill. One of the major issues is the Unions wanting the so called card check. How can they say it is fair to take away a secret ballot?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep. It's anything BUT fair. It will be the death of a lot of businesses if it passes. I guess this administration is only interested in giving a big wet thank you kiss for all of that support the unions gave during the last election. It's sad and it will negatively effect many families. Imagine, if you will, if you worked for a large company with hundreds or thousands of employees. You go home one day and when you come back the next morning you are now a member of a union. All they will need (unions) is the signature of 50% +1 employee and the business becomes union. Then you are not allowed a private vote on union issues, instead you get to raise your hand in a room full of those lovely calm union officials to vote against what they are proposing. Yeah, sounds completely fair. *sarcasm*

Gotta insure your campaign support for 2012 though. It's never about the people, is it?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It makes it so the union will know if you voted yes or no. They will be able to bully, and threaten you if you don't vote yes for the union. Like Andy Stern of SCIU said, we know where you live.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It's fair at all. The unions want to identify who is voting for them and who is not. So they can victimize people who don't support them. No other reason they would want to take away a "secret" ballot vote.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Hmmmm, the SEIU will be all over this. They have Reid and Obama in their back pocket. That means Pelosi is in. Not good, not good. Unions are a big problem.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 10:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Seriously? I got a down vote for having the gall to copy and paste the main points of the linked article? I guess the linked article really must have p!ssed someone off.

***
    LOL...ever get the feeling you get down-voted simply because of your screen name and past stances on various issues?! I'm thinking of PRETENDING to agree with the most vocal libs/progressives on here, and see if I STILL get down-voted!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Here are the main points: (from the link provided)

Eliminating the Private Ballot Card Check would effectively eliminate private voting.

Government Arbitration and Control

Card Check could put government regulators in charge of private business decisions.

Harsh New Penalties for Businesses

Card Check would unfairly punish businesses. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It's not fair... its them wanting the upper hand on small business and people who vote against them.

Sorry, if I missed it but, when is Congress voting on this? I didn't see it in the link....
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• *sorry, not sure why the font size was messed up. I guess my C&P skills aren't as advanced as some CM members.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Lori, they know who you are. They would see right through you. Besides, wouldn't it leave a bad taste in your mouth to agree with things that you are fundamentally against? Now, if you had a different profile and started it as a more liberal member (like I am sure never happens already), they would accept you with open arms.

Do you get points for down voting?  I have the feeling that some people only treat this section as a game and they have the 'use it or lose it' mentality.  I, on the other hand, don't see a point in down voting.  If I disagree with something and think that it's relevant to the debate I will spell it out in a post.  I guess I am just a grown up that way.  Down voting is still anonymous so I guess CM left something in there for the keyboard cowards after all. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:42 AM on Aug. 8, 2010