What am I doing wrong???

Many years ago I was extremely obese, I use to weight 215lbs and I am only 5'4. I manage to loose 70lbs withing two years once I was comfortable I left it at that. Since then I have manage to maintain my current weight 145-147, but now I want to get back in business. I want loose the rest of the weight and get tone at the same time, but I do not know where to start . I am training with my mom (she is a physical trainer) so I do go to the gym about 4-5 times a week for 2-3 hours a day. My mom makes me work very hard which is great, but I just do not know how well I am doing as far as nutrition. When I started working out last week I was at 145lbs and yesterday my weight was up to 148lbs. I been eating healthy foods and working out hard and consistently; I do not understand why my weight is going up instead of down. I most be doing something wrong. I take dietary supplements to increase energy and cut appetite. Continuation..

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 8:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Muscle weights more than fat.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Regardless of fat intake or anything else you are abviously consuming too many calories. There are several sites that will calculate your calories for you based on your BMI. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is sparkpeople.com. They also help you calculate for nutrition and last time I checked was free. I lost 30 pounds by watching my calorie intake and my husband has lost 60. My weight loss stopped because I got pregnant. Its all calories in calories out.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 8:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Muscle weighs more than fat, so it is very possible that you are toning up and still gaining weight. It could also be water retention. Three pounds isn't a lot to worry about, but you might want to take a close look at the protein powder if you keep gaining.

sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 8:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• what are you considering to be "healthy" foods? I think your answer is definitely lying in your nutrition. Nutrition is 80% of the weight-loss battle! I'd recommend reading the Abs Diet for Women by David Zinczenko or Clean Eating by Tosca Reno. Both emphasize eating every 2-3 hours, and eating non-processed foods at or close to their natural state. I think the Abs book is a great place to start and it will definitely help you learn what to eat and how often and why you shouldn't eat certain things commonly considered "healthy" at the grocery store. You've come so far already and once you can figure out the eating part, you'll do awesome!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 12:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I also have a protein shake powder, but I am not sure how to use it and how often. So I want to know how much fat am I supposed to be consuming a day? Calories? Carbs? Is it ok for me to base my diet on the recipes they got here on this site? Am I suppose to be taking protein shakes and when am I suppose to take them? I do not want to be on competition or anything I just want to be lean and tone and like what I see in the mirror.
    Thank You
    GodPRKitty

Comment by GodPRKitty (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You can go to curves for a free check up where they will tell you things that you can do @ home and dont have to go back unless you want...they are very helpful too...good luck
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Don't focus on the scale too much - focus on how you look and feel. You are doing the right thing with good supplements - be careful what you are taking - many supplements aren't absorbable - most multivitamin-mineral supplements use sulfate and oxide forms of minerals including iron and copper. these often appear on the label as ferrous fumarate (iron) or cupric sulfate (copper). Gluconate and Chelate forms of the same minerals are used in slightly more expensive supplements. Melaleuca's Vitality multivitamins and minerals are 10 times more soluble than other multi-vitamins and minerals - they even will let you try their vitamins for 90 days - if you don't notice a difference you will get a full refund - no questions asked! Also - the Access Bars are amazing - you eat one 15 minutes before any exercise and you will burn stored fat instead of glucose - bottom line - you burn more fat! Contact me for more info - good luck!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• This is the answer I give to everyone as far as figuring out what your calorie intake should be:)

Find a BMR calculator, I like this site. This will tell you how many calories your body needs every day to keep functioning. Make sure to scroll down and see what different activity levels change the amount you burn.

One pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories, so for instance if you were to take in 1500 calories per day and your BMR says that you burn 2000 then that would be a deficit of 500 calories burned per day. 500 calories times 7 days a week would equal 3500 calories burned for that week, equaling 1 pound of fat. Of course this is just an example, and BMR is just an estimate but it does help to figure out a realistic goal. Good luck and keep up the good work!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You need to eat wholesome foods, not toxins created in laboratories.

Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010