Engorgement?

Has anyone else had a problem with their breasts getting extremely full and painful in between just about every feeding? My dd is 1 1/2 weeks old and feeding about every 3 hours, but by the time she feeds I'm very engorged and she can barely empty one breast. Sometimes she's too full to even switch to the second breast. She's been in for 2 weight checks and has gained over a lb already so she's getting enough. Could I be making too much milk? Does anybody know how to combat this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your body will naturally even itself out. To get a good latch, you might need to express a little before feeding her. As for you making "too" much milk to feed her, in a few weeks your breasts will feel like it's not enough and empty in comparison, but right now, they just need to adjust. Good luck.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You just have to wait for it to adjust itself. Sometimes it can take a few weeks. If you mess with them yourself you could cause a problem. It sucks but it works itself out.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 8:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Try not to pump too much, just enough for your daughter to latch on. If you keep pumping too much, your body will never know its too much and keeping making that much. It'll even out soon.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 8:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had this problem. Let it leak out in the hot shower (if you can get a shower!) and wear a snug fitting nursing bra. There are really comfy nursing sports bras. You can also fill a sock with rice and heat it in the Microwave for 90 seconds. The heat helped me a lot. I wrapped the booby-tube sock around my breats and it relieved the pressure feeling.

If you are storing a pumped supply, just pump half out, feed the hind milk, and stock up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Mom to elliet is right on in her response. You are regulating right now. The engorgement will go away soon enough. Congrats on your new one!

Also NEVER wear a tight bra this can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It can be challenging the first time you breastfeed. Your breasts are actually maturing and developing ducts and glands. By 6-8 weeks your breasts will become efficient at making milk and will be much softer. Some moms will then think they have "lost" their milk. This is normal.

For now, use only one breast a feeding. Don't pump. If you need to remove milk for comfort, use hand expression. For directions go to google and type in Marmet technique.

Things will get better. Congrats on your new baby and breastfeeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:18 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

•  

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2010