Inexpensive flea remedy for outdoor cat?

When we moved into our home it came with a cat. He was left by the previous owners and was on his own for over a year. He's super sweet and the kids have taken to him so we have sort of adopted him. I've noticed that he's got fleas and I would like to do something for him that won't cost an arm and a leg or require a vet visit. He won't leave a collar on. Any suggestions?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Pets

• They have inexpensive sprays or powder you can use. Just check at a pet store, or just a store like Walmart. I like to use the powder with cats, because a lot of them don't like being sprayed, or bathed. You can also check at a place that had garden dusts and such, like ACE. Sometimes they will have cheap dust you can use on pets.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Do not buy anything from the pet store. There is a reason that stuff is cheap, it doesn't work and it is dangerous. I have seen many cats get very sick, die or have lasting neurological problems because of the over the counter products. Yes, the stuf you get from teh vet is pricey but it is safe and it works. A lot of vets are selling frontline,advantage and revolution as singles so that will save you a bit you just have to remember to go back each month. Having the animal on it for just a month will not get rid of the whole flea cycle they must be on it for at least 3-4 months though I personally keep mine on it year round so I don't have to deal with fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Is the cat outdoors or do you keep him indoors? If he's outdoors, you really should consider getting him neutered as well as at least rabies and distemper shots along with a decent flea treatment.

If he's an indoor cat, it's easier. First, give him a bath. Any soap (Dawn dishwashing liquid, baby shampoo, your shampoo) will kill fleas if you leave the lather on at least five minutes. Than, vacuum. Everything. Daily for at least two weeks. Empty the cannister or toss the bag outside!

If you have carpet you can use table salt or Borax ~ sprinkle either around and work into the carpet. If you use Borax, vacuum it up again the next day. You can do a room at a time instead of the whole house. Don't use Borax in a baby's room or where toddlers play unless you can keep them out of the room until you vacuum. Borax has worked better for us than professional yard/home treatment.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• What do you consider inexpensive? The top of the line products like Revolution (heartworm, flea, intestinal parasite, ear mite control) that you can get as a prescription from the vet costs roughly $15 a month. Do not use over the counter products as they can lead to the death of a cat - I've seen it before and it is really sad. It is probably best for you to take the cat to the vet anyway so you can make sure it is up to date on vaccinations, free from infectious diseases that could pass to your children or other pets, and neutered. If this cat is does not receive regular veterinary care and preventatives (for things like intestinal parasites) he could pose a risk to the health of your kids, especially if he is allowed to roam free outdoors.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2010