need ideas for a chores list for kids ages 6-8

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hello! I am a mom of 7, so chores are very, very important to make my life a little less insane!! My childrens ages range from 4-15. I have them clean their rooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, and do laundry even! The favorite chore, however, is "sous chef". My youngest three (A.K.A the dreamgirls) are 7, 6, and 4. Yes, even the 4 year helps with all the chores listed above. The most helpful thing I have found is that, patience is necessary. I had to let go of the "perfection" briefly in order to teach them how to do what was needed and allow them to do it by themselves. I have also found it helpful to post a checklist of what I expect to be done (complete with clip art found on my computer to make it fun). The only issue I ran into is the cleaners I was using have toxic chemicals! I now have much safer products that save me a ton of money and work great!!! If you need more details let me know! ;-}
    mamabrown710

Answer by mamabrown710 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Make there bed every morning (remember there ages, it wont be perfect and you cant fix it), cleaning up toys they play with every single time, setting table for meals, helping to clear table after meals, my 7 year old daughter will wash unbreakables in the sink (lunch and breakfast dishes) emptying waste baskets in bathroom/bedrooms, folding washclothes and matching sox, putting away there laundry. Dusting, wiping lower half of windows, Feeding pets, sweeping with a height appropriate broom (even a kids broom), I pay my daughter 25 cents a cupboard door she wipes down every couple weeks. My daughter likes to mop with a swiffer mop too. Of course remember that chores are not going to be done like an adult would. Expect they do there best but dont expect perfect :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• sweeping, dusting, vacuuming, folding laundry, feeding pets, setting table, clearing table, taking out trash, watering plants
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• beds
    pick up their toys

sweep
    wipe the table (and basically wipe anything LOL)
    set the table
    put away dishes
    take out the trash

and basically ditto everything mistynights said :)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• this is funny my dd and my so's son asked us if they can start doing chores like we would say no lol
    he scoops out the kitty litter
    she makes sure the cat has food and water
    they both have to make sure there beds are made .
    he helps take out the trash
    she helps take out recyling
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I'd start with keeping their own spaces clean, and add a few things to help out around the house, vacuuming, and taking out the garbage, folding towels, and dusting are a few of the things my boys do
    c.love49

Answer by c.love49 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My dd is 8 here are her chores for the week.Monday is laundry day. Tuesday is dishes, Wednesday is clean her room. Thursday is pick up all of her toys inside and out. We don't do chores on the weekend except load the dishwasher. Oh she has to set the table every night and practice her piano. She begged to take them and loves to practice her teacher says she needs to practice 15 minutes a day.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:33 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• All I can say is what we do in our home when it comes to chores.
    My DD, age 8 assists with dishes, mostly rinsing and stacking, puts away her own laundry and bath towels, cleans off and washes the table before and after meals, and walks the dog. DS, age 4, assists with laundry, mostly transfer from washer to dryer, but is starting to help fold, washes appliances in kitchen, and helps tidy the livingroom.
    Both children are expected to clean their rooms, make their bed, tidy the playroom and they take turns with feeding and watering the dog.
    mommymonkey

Answer by mommymonkey at 11:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2010