Spaghetti Sauce in a jar

One jar will make me 36+ mini pizzas and that would last us six weeks or more of school time lunches. Does anyone have an idea of how long the sauce will keep in the fridge, in it's capped jar? I could probably make and freeze the pizzas ahead of time, but I like fresh for as long as possible.

Liansmommie

Asked by Liansmommie at 9:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Once it is open it will stay refrigerated for about 7 days.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Idk how long it lasts but I know 6 weeks is too long for it to be okay to use. I would say a week and a half tops.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• well you could freeze the sauce in smaller containers- I wouldn't trust it more than a week (especially if it has any meat) - That mini pizzas for lunch is a neat idea (didn't think of it) I would like to know-what do you pack them in so they don't get messed up?
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't use it after a couple of days, 5 at the most (after it is opened). Make up all the pizza's and freeze them, then you don't have to worry about the sauce spoiling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Why not freeze the sauce in week portions?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I knew I was too excited to find out it was cost effective to think my way through it. Freezing the sauce is a great idea.

hotrodmomma we home school so I wouldn't packing it. If I were going to send them for a school lunch I would send the bread and the cheese either in snack baggies or sections of a plastic sandwich box and I would send the sauce in one of those little glad containers. Kind of how the lunchables packs their pizza. Most lunchboxes will keep food cool long enough these days to make that work. At 50 cents a piece it's a great deal and loads of fun for the kids. The pizzas are always a hit at potlucks.
    Liansmommie

Comment by Liansmommie (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I make it home made, only use jar in emergency.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2010