Canning Moms: Do you use wax?

When I decided to start canning fruit 2 years ago, I went to the canning aisle and bought everything I thought I would need, including a big box of wax. Now, what the heck am I supposed to use the wax for???

debbymichelle

Asked by debbymichelle at 9:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I used it for my jelly 2 years ago (I made enough for 2 years) - anyhow I just let the jelly cool then I poured a nice thick layer of the melted wax over it then let that cool then capped them.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Wax was used to seal jelly jars, however this is not a recommended method since it is not a realiable seal. Regular 2-piece lids and processing as recommended for jams and jellies is much safer.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I used to use wax on my jelly years ago now I just use a regular lid and screw the band on and I process mine for about 10 minutes in boling water. Wax was the way to go years ago not so much reccommended today
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Using wax is very outdated. If you use lids with screw bands and follow canning directions closely, you will have to problems.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• it was for jam making
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Ditto to all of the above answers. I've never used wax.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Wax is very out dated, Idk why the still put it with the canning supplies. Lids and bands are the safest way to go. The only thing I use parifin for these days is for candy making during the holidays.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have never seen or heard of anyone using wax for canning.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010