Getting fed up with this phase, I hope it's a phase. What do you think?

My son will be turning 7 in a couple of months. For the time he has been 6 he has been moody, grumpy, tantrums. Which was not like him (before). He never wants to do anything with me or his sisters. And when he has no other choice, he just doesn't participate. What kid doesn't like to go to the zoo, beach, water park, ect.? When he's somewhere like that with us, it's unbearable because he is so miserable! I have tried bringing a friend along for him, that still doesn't work. All he ever wants to do, is play his video game, which he's only allowed to play for 1 hour a day, or his other toys alone in his room, I feel like I only have 2 kids. I miss having my happy little boy. Have any of you moms experienced something like this? Any suggestions for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is something bothering him?

Is he getting enough sleep?

Mine has been a pill for the last week or so. Hasn't been getting enough sleep for some reason even though he's getting to bed on time, and waking up at a fairly decent hour. A nap helped considerably the other day.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son is not that age yet but when each of my 3 girls were that age...UGGHH!! I could have walked away out of their lives until they hit 8 or 9 yrs of age.
    somethings happens at the age of 7 that just makes a parent want to scream...but don't worry, you will live through this stage..it is the teens yrs that will be the most trying,lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I say phase. It seems to be the age. Deep breaths Momma!
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My DD is about the same right now. At 8.5, she has no interest in being a kid, or doing things with the family. I've tried talking to her, I've tried explaining that she needs to take the time to BE a kid, and I have tried dozens of suggestions from friends and family. So far, the only thing that has worked is to let her pick a family activity. When she has spent time being a HAPPY, involved member of our family, we will spend the same amount of time doing what she has picked out.
    She's still moody, she still whines and throws fits, and still prefers to sit in her room more often than I'd like, but TV/movies are out of the question, and she has been told what we expect from her in regards to attitude, behavior and participation.
    There have been moments where I've felt worthless and horrible as a mom, and so frustrated that I wanted to scream. My mom assures me that it's just a phase and we'll get through it soon enough.
    mommymonkey

Answer by mommymonkey at 11:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Here's a suggestion. Why not ask him what he would like to be doing and see if he changes his attitude any . Maybe he feels that the places he's being asked to go are not of interest to him. When I was younger there were plenty of places I was expected to go even though I too would rather be at home playing with my toys or doing something other than what was planned for me.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• make lists
    offer choices
    have his choice done 1x per wk.
    listen more
    watch diet, eating right foods
    participate (ball catch, badmitin) our son loves to grow cacti
    play together home (cards, badmitin, ?)
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think it is a phase but maybe try some one on one time alone with him taking him somwhere that he chooses and see how it goes first. Sometimes kids just go through this and tend to feel bad for themselves and need some extra TLC and alone time.. Good luck... hope this helps!
    sippincoffee

Answer by sippincoffee at 9:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son started this about age 8 and still does it sometimes at age 9 now. His big thing is his iron intake, sometimes sleep and if he gets enough one on one time with dad. But a lot of it at first was a phase.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Did he experience a trauma? I don't want to scare you, but the first thing that came into my mind at you mentioning his sudden behavioral change, is that something happened to him......Try to get him to talk to somebody. Good luck!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2010