Help!!! My little one is grunting in her highchair and car seat... why?!?!

My daughter is 20 months old. She grunts and tenses up her body when sitting in her high chair or in her car seat. We cannot get her to stop this behavior! We though thatshe wanted out at first, but she cries when you take her out. We are able to get he attention while she is doing it, but rarely can we get he to stop. We can distract her sometimes by getting her to focus on something else, but it ends up being only a temporary distraction. She is right on track or even ahead in her development. Why is she doing this? Help!!!

heathermartin79

Asked by heathermartin79 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like temper tantrum. i dont know how you would deal with it, but that is what it sounds like to me. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Do you find she ONLY does it while in a sitting position?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Is she mastrubating? She'd be upset that you stopped her if that's what she's doing. If it is, it's normal, but she should be told only to do it in her room when she's alone. I'd put her in a car seat or highchair that doesn't have that center bar or strap to minimize the stimulation. You can get some booster seats that don't have the center strap and you can sit her on phone books at the table.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yes, she does it only when sitting and "constrained" sitting at that.
    heathermartin79

Answer by heathermartin79 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2008