• In the Spotlight:

Tips on becoming vegetarian?

I really like meat! But lately I just feel so guilty eating it. I love animals!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I look at it this way. Being vegetarian is about what I eat, not about what I don't eat. I build our meals around whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits.

Feel free to send me a message if you need meal ideas or recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm not a vegetarian, but I do make a lot of vegetarian meals. My tip would be to think of things you already eat, that are easily made vegetarian, such as spaghetti....make it with marinara, or use vegetarian "burger" crumbles to give it a meaty texture....or portabella mushrooms, they are thick and have a meaty texture. Veggie lasagna.

Bean, rice or potato and cheese burritos, bean tostadas, already vegetarian. Vegetarian chili's, Vegetable soups, and don't forget that you can make things like an omelet for lunch or dinner as well.

I would say be careful of replacing all of your protein with cheese, it gets very fattening, and I think a lot of vegetarians do this when they first change their lifestyle.

Look online for good vegetarian recipes, or pick up a couple of cookbooks (try the library first so you know which ones you want to purchase!)

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It is really not that hard. Just stop eating meat. Get some good veg cookbooks (there are SO many great ones out there). Join our vegetarian and vegan moms group too, lost of good tips and recipes there.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Cut back slowly - my friend had this book called "Eat to Live" and swears by it
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:12 PM on Aug. 9, 2010