What do i do i am very scared Low fluids

Of course the docs say all the bad things i have low fluid at 20 weeks
and they are saying there is a little thickness to the back of my babies neck and want to do an amnio to see if there is downs syndrome of a few of the fatal problems but the baby seems so healthy i am so lost it makes it alot harder feeling the baby move and my son talking to my belly every night please any info on this some maybe nice outlooks or even the hard truth and prayers i have never felt so helpless

scaredmami11

Asked by scaredmami11 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My son has Down Syndrome, if you need to talk or would like to ask me any questions you may have, feel free to send me a message!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• "Little thickness" to the back of the neck? Did you mean the back of the neck is "thicker" than it should be. That's what they look for in ultarsounds when it comes to Downs.

Ask them about a blood test called Triple Screening instead of an amnio. It is the most accurate "blood test" for Downs. Of course, follow your MD's orders, they know what they are doing normally, but an amnio sounds like a drastic step if they have not done any maternal serum tests yet.

I wish you the best.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• for low fluid I've heard drinking LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water will help replenish it..... -- other option is IV fluids to help replenish it.
    makaena

Answer by makaena at 7:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i dont know anything about the thickness thing, but i had low fluid throughout my pregnancy and they just said as long as it doesnt seem to get lower it would be fine. as far as the water thing. they told me there wasnt anything i could do to help or hurt it, but id talk to the doc... i'll pray for you and your little one
    mrs_gilhole

Answer by mrs_gilhole at 7:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I've had low fluid in 4 out of 6 pregnancies. I had to be induced 3 of those times. Two of them were a month early. My babies had no long lasting health issues from it. They were pretty small (the low fluid problem usually goes along with IUGR: means the baby is growing slowly or stops growing). My smallest baby was 4 lb. 13 oz. She required no special treatment. The last baby I had was a month early at 5 lb. 7 oz. She did have some respitory & feeding problems & staying in hospital a week. She just turned 2 yrs old today, Oct. 5th. She is very healthy. They have never found a cause for the low fluid in my case. Ive had 2 other pregnancies that were normal in every way.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My other 2 low fluid babies were on time & both weighed 6 lb. 6 oz. One of them, my 14 yr old son, is now 6 ft. 2 in. tall. I was hospitalized once when preg. w/ him. They gave me IV fluid. It helped some but the fluid went back down so I was induced about a month later (but one day before his due date)
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Thank you all for this i did do the amnio and i am hoping for the best i will have the results soon
    well not soon enough about 2 weeks I am leaving it to GOD bless you all ladies and anyone else that knows anything i welcome your opinions
    scaredmami11

Answer by scaredmami11 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2008