What do u tell your child when there pet passes away?

My 3 yr old sons rabbit died... i just told him that it got to hot and it had to go to the vet. He really never asked much more about it . He was a little sad at first!

treysmama06

Asked by treysmama06 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Pets

• We tell them the truth - that they died... Our kids are 3 & 4 and know what death is. It was something we covered early.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• =[....guess that will be the next thing we talk about..thanx
    treysmama06

Comment by treysmama06 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would tell him that it died. I have explained death to my son and he is 4years old. I read somewhere that it is best to tell the truth, in that situation. He has been to my grandfather's wake, has been told about pets that have passed away. I just explain it the best way that he would understand. He knows about being sick and dying and being really old and dying. He understands it amazingly well.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 10:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thanx.. i know i should have already told him. I cryed when his rabbit died..... i was scared he would cry too LOL
    treysmama06

Comment by treysmama06 (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I told my two kids that after the fish died in their tank one day, we had to hold a burial ceremony in the bath room at the toilet and pray for them and flush them out to sea!!!!!!!!!! They bit and it all worked out well!!!!!!!!!
    Carlottta

Answer by Carlottta at 11:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Our 5 yr old German shepherd passed in May from a stroke DD is 12 so she knew what was happening, I was upfront and honest with her in a gentle way, she got to say good bye to her best friend and be with her. Not at the very end thank goodness that was hard on me and I am 30. We had a service for her, we saved a lock of her hair, we all wrote letters and put in her blanket and toys and since then we have made her headstone and we are designing a mosaic tile work for it. DD was upset but she is ok.
    m0ml0v3s2

Answer by m0ml0v3s2 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The truth. My 6yro dd went with us in May to have her pittie put down.
    I told her exactly what was going to happen and that she would nt be in pain anymore.
    In her short yrs she has lost her Papa, her Grandmas mom, my mom, my grandma and 7 dogs
    6 fish and 2 frogs. So death is no stranger in our house.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 1:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• oh and I also have 2 rare forms of cancer that we have had to explain to her. I have just finished 35 treatments of radiation and have 10 chemo treatments left and a yr. of herceptin. So honesty is best!
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 1:02 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• my mom told me they ran away
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We let them know that they passed away and have a little funeral for the pet. We told them about the Rainbow Bridge and it seems to make it easier on them. I admit they are sad but they seem to handle it pretty well.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2010