Do you think validation from your spouse is a basic need or a luxury?

I mean, being told verbally that you're loved and liked and all that.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 10:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it depends on the person. Some people don't need the words, as long as the spouse shows it in the things they do and how they treat the other. Then there are others who need to hear it.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't label it as a "luxury" but it's not something I see as a NEED either... But maybe that's because I can't imagine being with someone who didn't express that they wanted to be with me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would say a basic need to feel loved, wanted, desired, accepted.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think it is definately a basic need.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think it is a need this world beats us down thats why we became a couple to be helpmates to eachother we need to tell each other we are loved ppl need to hear that we hear so many negative things all day we need to come home and know we are loved and needed and doing a good job
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think actions speak louder than words, but having someone say "I love you" and mean it is important to me. My DH and I always tell each other how important, and how loved, we are. It's wonderful. Some people don't need verbal support of feelings - it really depends on how you and he communicate.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I totally agree with Sabrina

No, I don't need it, but it's not a luxury per say. It's just part of what I consider a healthy, loving relationship.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It's important. If he's not doing it, tell him he needs to. They don't just know these things on their own.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• After years of marriage my DH and I still tell each other we love each other several times a day. We still kiss goodbye when someone heads off somewhere, and there is always a hug when someone comes home.

I don't know if it is a need or a luxury, but it's how things are.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• my husband doesnt really mind if we do or not
    he stated it wasnt needed ..but when he noticed i stopped telling him .i loved him .out of nowhere he started
    i can say its not needed but its not too hard for some words to be exchanged =)
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010