worst day EVER..

first off i have a 4 year old staffordshire bull terrier and an 8 1/2 month old son. my dog has never shown any signs of aggression until today. i was sitting on the couch and my son and my dog were on the floor. i was eating a pop tart and my dog was begging like always but i didnt give in then my son crawls up to the couch and when i bent over to pick him up my dog snapped at him and knocked him down. what do i do??? my husband swore that if she ever did anything to him that it would be IT either we would give her away or have her put down but now that we have faced the issues its alot easier said than done. we have decided that we will transition her into being an outside dog and keep her out of the house except for at night to sleep (my husband works nights and shes a great protector). did we make the right decision or should we get rid of her? please HELP.. has anyone else ever had this type of problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Pets

• I had a pitt once who loved me to death..... she did the exact same thing to my then 2 year old.... except he was playing with me and when he came running at me she lunged at him.... I got rid of her..... that was 18 years ago.... I don't regret it...but I've since changed my tactic.... Yeah, definitely put her outside.... and when you do let her come in MAKE HER EAT FROM YOUR BABY'S HAND..... I'm serious.... change her eating to be all inclusive with your baby.,..,,. she either eats the food the baby gives her (of course you are holding the food in the baby's hand, and the baby's hand is protected by yours).... but every bite that dogs gets comes from the baby. that will begin to teach her that the baby is higher than she is in the pack.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• nope. Dog is gone. We got rid of an Akita we had for 8 yrs when she became aggressive with my son. Dogs are JUST animals. Not humans. He was way more important. We didn't even stoip to think about it. She was gone the next day. Our vet took her home.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• The dog did that because it thought you were giving your food to your child, something that the dog had "claimed" already by sitting there in begging position. A very simple way to avoid this is to just not eat around the dog. Whenever you have food, put the dog in a separate room that has a closed door or a gate that the dog can't get over. This is what I had to do with my dog and it worked great. The dog was still a big part of our family, but a slight modification was put into our routine to make it safe for the kids. If you see signs of aggression at any other circumstance, then you should consider alternatives...
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 8:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• your dog might not be aggressive to your son it could be a food aggression problem. I his mind your son has a lower status in the pack than him if he thought your son was going to get food before him that would be a status upset so he would punish your son for trying to move up in the pack. I could be wrong but since the dog is begging it seems that you have given the dog food while you eat which is a big no no if you want your dog to see you and your family as pack leaders put the dog up when you eat and when you feed your dog have you and your son pretend to eat it first then make you dog sit and stay while you put the food down and a few more seconds after that you give a command (eat, ok, ect) and it should help
    ami226

Answer by ami226 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• This is a very difficult situation. Would you be happy with leaving your dog outside all the time? If you could find a child-free home where she could stay inside she may be happier, and you and your husband would know she was being taken care of in a way that she is accustomed to.
    Don't risk it with your baby. as he grow older he is going to start mauling the dog more and more... and who knows how the dog will respond to that. I don't think you need to have the dog put down, though. Just let whoever is adopting her know what happened with your baby.
    Good luck.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• the reason for the dogs behavior is because the dog sees himself as higher in the pack /social status than the baby. big no-no because you will continue to have problems if this isn't fixed. the dog shouldnt be allowed to interact with baby socially [makes baby higher in pack].. might be a good idea to let baby give dog small treats/food, if monitored and you know the dog will not be agressive. dog cannot take the food or dominate baby in any way whatsover. watch dog whisperer! you can train the dog if you don't want to get rid of her, but you need the tools, don't risk your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• that's right! call ceasar! http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• This happened to us too. We had to get rid of our shih-tzu. He started growling at my son & actually bit me! Thank God he bit ME & NOT one of my kids though! He was gone the next day. You just can't be too careful in my opinion.
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My late husbands min pin nipped at my son. I took him and had him put down the next day. This dog slept with me, and loved me above all humans in the house. It was the kinder route, and less worry.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i know how hard it is and i can def sit here and say i would get rid of my dogs instantly but i dont know if i actually would, i would give the dog another chance and try the whole letting the baby feed so they know not to bite that hand that feeds him..if it happens again then you can no longer trust the dog and i suggest getting rid of it
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2008