my son and my dog...help

first off i have a 4 year old staffordshire bull terrier and an 8 1/2 month old son. my dog has never shown any signs of aggression until today. i was sitting on the couch and my son and my dog were on the floor. i was eating a pop tart and my dog was begging like always but i didnt give in then my son crawls up to the couch and when i bent over to pick him up my dog snapped at him and knocked him down. what do i do??? my husband swore that if she ever did anything to him that it would be IT either we would give her away or have her put down but now that we have faced the issues its alot easier said than done. we have decided that we will transition her into being an outside dog and keep her out of the house except for at night to sleep (my husband works nights and shes a great protector). did we make the right decision or should we get rid of her? please HELP.. has anyone else ever had this type of problem?

jaxonsmmy

Asked by jaxonsmmy at 7:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your dog was only thinking of the pop tart. I don't think you will have continous problems unless your child gets into the dog's food if it is eating. Just keep an eye on him and see if the aggressive behavior continues when food is not involved.
    chapina69

Answer by chapina69 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree with the first poster. Good luck. These situations are not easy. It would be so easy for me (not in the situation) to say go ahead and get rid of her. But I really dont think I would do that.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'd do what you're doing, but if there is one more problem, the dog has to go. I'm sorry:(
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Don't allow her around while you are eating or while the baby is eating. Put up a gate, so that you can separate them during feeding times. Especially once you are feeding the baby finger food, make sure the dog is not in the room . . . BIG THING . . . Stop feeding her any type of table food whatsoever . . . but if your dog has resource guarding issues . . . sit beside her bowl and put a tiny treat in it . . . do this repeatedly . . . maybe 3 times a day . . sit beside her bowl with treats and put your hand in her bowl to give her a treat, do this several times . . . soon the hand near the food is a great thing, this will avoid problems with your baby ever being near her food bowl.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Dogs sometimes just don't know what is expected of them, make sure the treats are extra yummy . . . and once your baby is old enough, have her drop great treats in the bowl . . the baby will never be a threat then . . . only a souce of a special treat . . . your dog will learn . . . she just needs to be coached, but in the meanwhile . . . put up a gate to guarantee your baby's safety!! Good Luck!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Make sure your dog knows who is top dog in your house. I urge you to write to the dog whisperer to see what he says to do. He is awesome!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• 1. its not the breed 2. its the food 3, she's competing with your baby now, for attention.. i know this might sound kookey, but an animal behaviorist can help you with this, especially as your baby gets older, but, one key factor, your dog will eventually turn into protector of baby. I thought we were going to have issues with my moms three dogs.. they arent big dogs, but one of them is a bit aggressive, only cause she was beaten as a pup and rescued by my mom, but she has turned into watch dog.. if i'm outside for a second, and our son wakes up from a nap, she will come to the door and bark, you could possibly train your dog, to be watchful of your baby, that is actually a new calling with people and dogs. Good luck, but i wouldnt give up hope, talk to your Vet for ideas..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2008