I let my 5 month old suck on a ginger snap cookie not too much a couple licks, He has a rash on his ear and cheek can he be having a reaction to the cookie. and I just gave him his antihistamine for his cold will that help or should I give him benedril?

gmom855

Asked by gmom855 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Health

• benedril is an antihistamine, don't give him more. Call your pediatrician if he doesn't get better.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 7:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• wash the area around his mouth and ear gently with clean, clear water. Ginger is a very strong spice for little ones. It still irritates my 5 yr old granddaughters mouth sometimes. As the first poster said Bendryl IS an antihistamine. Do not give more. If his lips sweel or you think he is having a hard time breathing go to an ER.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• don't give him benadryl...it is an antihistamine, so you'll be giving him a double dose. Watch him carefully...if there is any sign of a stronger reaction, take him to the emergency room and call your pediatrician *immediately*.

Signs of a severe allergic reaction include swelling (particularly around the mouth and throat), wheezing, difficulty breathing, "panting": short, shallow breaths, sweating, flushing (red appearance of skin, not necessarily only on the face), itching, and hives, difficulty swallowing. There are also signs like anxiety and feelings of doom, but those would be hard to detect in a child so young. Watch for any of these symptoms. If none occur, you're likely safe...just let the antihistamine do it's job.
    I'll send good thoughts your way.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2008