Shingles?

Anybody had any experience with this? I read on webMD that it wasn't contagious. My FIL has it and wants us to come over Thursday to eat at their house. Would you?

mykidsmommy

Asked by mykidsmommy at 7:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Health

• It's not contagious. My mom had it, no worries. Just very painful, so be careful and just try not to touch him to hard. I accidentally hugged my mom, her arm got squeezed a bit and it really hurt her. It'll run it's course.

Blessings.

http://www.4yourfam.com

lovin2Bme

Answer by lovin2Bme at 7:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Holy Cow! It's highly contagious! Call the pediatrician and see if you and the kids are at risk. It's a chicken pox... If your kids have had the vaccine, they will be okay and if you and Joe have had the pox, you might be okay too, but I'd put a call in. We were advised against it when my MIL had them!
    kyraandtylersmo

Answer by kyraandtylersmo at 7:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Here's some great information on it:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098

I will correct my first statement of it being contagious....my mom had when we were older so we already had chicken pox.   If your kids haven't had the chicken pox yet, or the vaccine they may get it.  However, if your FIL has red scabby spots...then he is  no longer contagious.

Blessings.

http://www.4yourfam.com

lovin2Bme

Answer by lovin2Bme at 8:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have been told that it is very contagious. I had a patient last week to cancel their appointment since they had it so we wouldnt catch it. It is a viral thing.
    adma845

Answer by adma845 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yes, it isn't contagious.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• It isn't contageous if you have had pox. If you are pregnant you shouldn't be near it either.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I had it once before and it wasn't a concern to be around my children however, I had to be careful not to share towels because the infection could be spread that way.
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 12:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Shingles is contagious to anyone who has not had chicken pox. (They didn't even let me into a room when I had it and went to the urgent care. She looked at me in a secluded part of the hall...said yep, shingles...........uh..go home and stay there. I will call in a prescription. And she gave me bunches of samples.)
    It is also no fun and makes you miserable.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2008